Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

What is Your Most Amazing Moment in Big Bend?

• 172 Replies

Offline Bluetex

• Diamondback
Re: What is Your Most Amazing Moment in Big Bend?
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2016, 04:26:57 PM »
Well..... I have been going to the Bend since I was a freshman in HS. Since then I have taken many trips... but the one that stands out the most is when I decided to marry my wife. We had been to Big Bend a couple of times together. Over the years I had taken a couple significant others to Big Bend, none of which truly loved it like I did. Several years ago when I had just begun seeing my wife I suggested a trip to the bend, and whether I was doing it subliminally or not I guess that was kind of always my test. She had never been before and when I started to mention camping, tent, backcountry, hiking, she began getting even more excited. The trip went very well....and when she began planning our next trip before we had even ended the current trip I was in love!
Fastforward 2 years... We stood atop Emory peak, ontop of the world looking down at the beauty that is west Texas. I had been keeping a ring in my pocket the entire hike, just waiting for a good moment... well it was an amazing moment! After she said yes we both had a conversation about how seeing a black bear would be the icing on the cake. On the hike down we saw our bear. I like to think that was the Big Bend gods giving their blessing!
" In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
                                              Abraham Lincoln

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Well..... I have been going to the Bend since I was a freshman in HS. Since then I have taken many trips... but the one that stands out the most is when I decided to marry my wife. We had been to Big Bend a couple of times together. Over the years I had taken a couple significant others to Big Bend, none of which truly loved it like I did. Several years ago when I had just begun seeing my wife I suggested a trip to the bend, and whether I was doing it subliminally or not I guess that was kind of always my test. She had never been before and when I started to mention camping, tent, backcountry, hiking, she began getting even more excited. The trip went very well....and when she began planning our next trip before we had even ended the current trip I was in love!
Fastforward 2 years... We stood atop Emory peak, ontop of the world looking down at the beauty that is west Texas. I had been keeping a ring in my pocket the entire hike, just waiting for a good moment... well it was an amazing moment! After she said yes we both had a conversation about how seeing a black bear would be the icing on the cake. On the hike down we saw our bear. I like to think that was the Big Bend gods giving their blessing!

Sweet, sweet story
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Andreas

• Diamondback
  • A gun gives you the body not the bird. HD Thoreau
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
I like to think that was the Big Bend gods giving their blessing!

Yeah, Big Bend works that kind of magic. Thank you for sharing this great story!
"Any time you're throwin dirt you're losin ground."

Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »

Interesting - you used The Bend as a primary sort for your love interest!
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline wifiwanderer

• Kangaroo Rat
Received clear FM radio broadcasts at Santa Elena Canyon parking area
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2016, 12:04:44 AM »
In the mid 1990s, was leaving Santa Elena Canyon vehicle parking area and turned on the sound system to listen to a CD.  As usual, the radio came on first.  Normally, the radio played just dead air anywhere in BBNP.  To my amazement, a FM radio station broadcast came in clear on every graduation of the digital dial.  I heard clear broadcasts from Dallas, Albuquerque and other FM stations across the southwest.  Since that event, I made a point to check my radio anytime I visited Santa Elena Canyon, but just got dead air.  Asked visiting family and friends to check, but they've never heard anything, there over the radio.  I filed that memory in my brain's X-Files.

Offline Freeleo1

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2018, 08:29:14 PM »
We were staying in one of the duplex cabins and getting ready to hike up to the South Rim for a day hike.  When we came outside a little before sunrise there was a big rain cloud coming into the basin. It split on either side of Casa Grande and we could see it falling down into the basin like a waterfall. That was pretty amazing.  We've been there during one of the big desert blooms. That was pretty cool too. A canyon wren singing at the falls, also 2 ravens sitting on a branch at the falls watching us and looking like they were discussing what to do.  Pretty much every time we've seen something memorable.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
I finally got one of my kids (technically at 31 years of age, not a kid) to go to BiBe with me this year. My oldest daughter and I went. The plan was to hike Cattail Falls, the South Rim, and Santa Elena Canyon. Anything else would be and was a bonus. I led the way up the Pinnacles and on to the South Rim. At the last few hundred yards I slowed down and "retied my shoes". I motioned for her to keep going because I wanted her to top out first. When she got there I heard "Oh wow" and she stopped in her tracks and just stared out into the landscape. Like her dad, she gets plumb wordy when something overwhelming happens :icon_lol:  That made me very happy because I could tell that she got it and she would return. We made the entire South Rim loop, saw a bear track and some deer, and generally had a pretty nice hike. One of these days I may slow down enough that she'll lead the way. I'm in no hurry for that.

Moderator Note: I took out all of the funky font tags...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:17:46 PM by RichardM »

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2018, 11:38:40 PM »
At the last few hundred yards I slowed down and "retied my shoes". I motioned for her to keep going because I wanted her to top out first. When she got there I heard "Oh wow" and she stopped in her tracks and just stared out into the landscape.

Well done, Dad, well done.....
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!