Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Your opinions: Best filtration systems

• 38 Replies

Offline gtRidge

• Jack Rabbit
Your opinions: Best filtration systems
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »
I'm curious what yall prefer to take with you for filtering/purifying water.

For my last trip in the Pecos Wilderness, with fresh high altitude streams/lakes, I liked using Katadyn MicroPur drops. Packed away to nothing, easy to get going and put back away. Takes awhile for water but if you have some 1-Liter bottles along with your bladders, you can get a good refill rotation going.

I'll be doing the OML this winter and will be expecting less already-clean water. What filter systems work well with drawing water from small pools or trickling streams? I'm looking at a sawyer or MSR gravity filter, but what do yall think?

Thanks and Gigem

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
Re: Your opinions: Best filtration systems
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »
If you search around the site, you'll find several threads on this subject.

I've been using Aquamira chlorine-dioxide tablets in BiBe for almost 10 years, with no problems. This includes some still, scummy, or stagnant water that required some form of filtering before treatment. I use a bandana (or two, if necessary) to pre-filter. No extra weight or bulk, as I'm carrying the bandanas for other reasons anyway. I use a bailing cup to pour through the bandanas into a 1-quart Nalgene (typically carrying 2-3 of those between my wife & myself). Then from the Nalgene into a Platypus for >1-quart bulk tablet treatment. The bailing cup has been (at times) the bottom portion of a box-of-wine, or it could be our flat-packed Orikaso cup or bowl, both of which we're carrying anyway.

I once shot a man in Reno -- wait, that's not right...   :eusa_whistle:

Oh yeah, I once filled & treated a couple of gallons of water from Fresno Creek in the time it took another guy to pump 1 quart. A filter/pump in BiBe is unnecessary extra bulk and weight (in my opinion, of course), and they will fail notably if there's any grunge in the water.

This is a pretty "hot" topic though. Some BiBe regulars here would agree with my approach, others are very loyal to their filters & pumps...
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
I like and use the Katadyn Hiker PRO.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »
In the past, I have used a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter/pump. On our last trip, I took along some Katadyn MicroPur tablets. Since the pipe was running at Boot Spring, it was easy to just fill and treat. If you can find them, they work great.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »
An alternative to the bandanna strainer: paper coffee filters.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
In the past, I have used a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter/pump. On our last trip, I took along some Katadyn MicroPur tablets. Since the pipe was running at Boot Spring, it was easy to just fill and treat. If you can find them, they work great.

Yep the Katahdin Hiker Pro

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
I use a MSR Sweetwater filter and sweetwater drops.  I also carry a small sea to summit collapsing bucket.  I scoop out water and move it some place to filter.  Easier than squatting next to a stream, trying not to fall in, and keep all the hoses in the right places.

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:44:39 PM »
Katadyn pocket filter. It's not the lightest. It's definitely not the cheapest. But I can absolutely depend on it to perform flawlessly for years of rough use.  I need to feel absolutely confident in my filter.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »
If you search around the site, you'll find several threads on this subject.

I've been using Aquamira chlorine-dioxide tablets in BiBe for almost 10 years, with no problems. This includes some still, scummy, or stagnant water that required some form of filtering before treatment. I use a bandana (or two, if necessary) to pre-filter. No extra weight or bulk, as I'm carrying the bandanas for other reasons anyway. I use a bailing cup to pour through the bandanas into a 1-quart Nalgene (typically carrying 2-3 of those between my wife & myself). Then from the Nalgene into a Platypus for >1-quart bulk tablet treatment. The bailing cup has been (at times) the bottom portion of a box-of-wine, or it could be our flat-packed Orikaso cup or bowl, both of which we're carrying anyway.

I once shot a man in Reno -- wait, that's not right...   :eusa_whistle:

Oh yeah, I once filled & treated a couple of gallons of water from Fresno Creek in the time it took another guy to pump 1 quart. A filter/pump in BiBe is unnecessary extra bulk and weight (in my opinion, of course), and they will fail notably if there's any grunge in the water.

This is a pretty "hot" topic though. Some BiBe regulars here would agree with my approach, others are very loyal to their filters & pumps...

I am with trtlrock on this one, pre-filter with bandana and then aquamira drops like this

And yes, it can be a much debated subject.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »
I use the aquamira as well. I usually don't fret over a few floatees. Tried coffee filters and bandanas as prefilters but usually don't use them. Seems like with the filters we spent a lot of time filtering water.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
I carry ClO2 tablets and a Katadyn Pro. if the water is chunky and I want to drink it immediately, I filter. If it's clear and no rush, the tabs are great. The tabs are my filter backup too. I've never had a failure with my filter, but I always clean, test, and lubricate it before and after every trip.

Usual recommendation for ClO2 is 4 hrs contact time but that is probably not required except at lower temperatures. It is important not to leave the water in direct sunlight during the contact time either.

I have had some commercial experience with UV and would NOT recommend Steri-Pen or equivalent. My experiences show that water turbidity greatly reduces the effectiveness of any UV system.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »
An old-timer told me once that you can put alum in a silty bucket of water and it will clear up in minutes..

Offline gtRidge

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »
I'm surprised at how many use Aquamira drops. Those are actually what I had with me in NM (I misnamed them as Micropur in OP). I thought they did great but figured they'd be the odd one out. Good to know those work well in BB with some sort of prefiltering process.

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
I'm surprised at how many use Aquamira drops.

If you haven't tried the tablets yet, you might want to. They are soooo fast to deploy. Whip out the swiss army knife scissors, cut the small, square, individual hermetically sealed tablet-pouch, drop in container, shake, stow away, keep on hiking...

And, yes, the bandana(s) only come out if needed -- I don't mind a few minor flecks either.
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline gtRidge

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »
I'm surprised at how many use Aquamira drops.

If you haven't tried the tablets yet, you might want to. They are soooo fast to deploy. Whip out the swiss army knife scissors, cut the small, square, individual hermetically sealed tablet-pouch, drop in container, shake, stow away, keep on hiking...

This I will definitely do.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!