Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Attn Ranger Tim In holding east of Rancherias East

• 7 Replies

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
Attn Ranger Tim In holding east of Rancherias East
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:26:15 PM »
 Looking at the Exploration Map for BBRSP 2013 I notice an in holding on Panther Creek at the junction of Acebuches Canyon and Santana Mesa. I was hoping to go out the Rancherias Trail to Acebuches Canyon, then up Panther Creek.
Is that parcel still an in holding? 
Thanks
I'm looking for hikes off 170, again, we did the last loop you suggested and variations of it a few times. I really enjoyed the Fresno Cascades and the mine.
Is there a trail at Madera Canyon?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:36:58 PM by jim2 »

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
Re: Attn Ranger Tim In holding east of Rancherias East
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:55:36 PM »
   There is a trail at Madera Canyon. Look for AC1 Vipers trip report from about 10 years ago . I went this past Nov. and have a posted a poor report but there are some pictures. Long story short - reportedly there is a fairly high pouroff ( 70 ft. ?) that is not safe to climb somewhere in the middle of the canyon so you have to bypass that section. This requires climbing out of the canyon on a sometimes used horse trail and then eventually you get back in the canyon north of the pouroff. If you enlarge Google Earth you can see where you leave the canyon on the horsetrail. The exit is actually pretty close to 170.
    I intend to go back again and stay in the canyon and get a look at the bypassed section and the pouroff.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
Yes, that inholding is still private, so stick to the defined trail rather than going up Panther Canyon. The route that Alan mentioned is available to the public but is exceptionally difficult and not generally encouraged. IF you want to go several miles up a canyon I would suggest Tapado Canyon on the west side of the park.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »
Thank you Alan. 
Thanks Tim, I looked at the map. Tapado Canyon looks intriguing.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
Tapado is great. There are some outstanding slot canyons and cottonwoods in  there and you can hike up that sucker for miles and never really have to do much real navigation. I will  say that there is a confluence with a side canyon to the NW about a mile from the bridge so stick right (east). For those of you with an old BBRSP trail map, you'll see a route from Tapado up to Guale Mesa. This can be very hard to find but it does exist and it is passable,... though definitely sketchy at points. I always wanted to hike over Guale Mesa to Rancherias Springs from Tapado Canyon but that's going to be a pretty tough hump.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:54 PM »
Jim2 - Tapada does look pretty cool on the topo map - steep sides. The search on BBC did not turn up anything on Tapada. You can be the first ! ( Better hurry though, I think I'll put it on the agenda )

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:19:42 AM »
What about hiking to Oso Spring and camping and then back out the next day?  Is that doable?  Does Oso spring normally have water?

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:13 AM »
Voyageur Outward Bound does a similar trip. Oso often does have water, though I have not laid eyes on it this season. It is raining here now.
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!