Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

BBRSP for 5 days - no 4WD

• 14 Replies

Offline Losthiker68

• Roadrunner
« on: December 26, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »
With the mess at BBNP, I'm rethinking my vacation plan. I was planning 6 days at BBNP, Jan 4th-9th, an extended OML plus some dayhikes.

With that now in question, I'm trying to figure out an alternative. I'm going to extend my planned stay at Seminole to do the petroglyph tour (that wasn't originally in the cards). I'm also thinking about a day or two at Fort Davis. The rest I'd like to spend at BBRSP, However, as many have pointed out, trail info is hard to come by.

I'd like suggestions for 5 days in BBRSP. I'll be primitive camping and, though new, am prepared for some backcountry so might be willing to do a 3-day Ranchieras Loop, or, at minimum, hike up the Guale mesa for an overnight. Other ideas?
Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. - John Muir

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: BBRSP for 5 days - no 4WD
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
We have a lot of 2WD accessible sites but you need to contact our parks reservation desk ASAP to see what is available. With the shutdown we are going to have a lot of competition for sites,... especially 2WD accessible sites. Call (512) 389-8919 and see if you can get Ojito Adentro, Agua Adentro, Vista de Bofecillos, Papalotito Colorado, Papalote Escondido, or any of the sites along the River Road (FM170) such as Grassy Banks or Lower Madera.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline Losthiker68

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »
Will do.

What about hiking/backpacking suggestions?
Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. - John Muir

Offline Floundered

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:24:36 PM »
Ranger Tim- Thanks for all the advice. Currently the state park reservation line is closed for the holidays and suppose to reopen tomorrow. We are desperately wanting to camp in the backcountry and have no reservations as we had ben planning to camp at BBNP. Would it be worth the 11-12 hour drive from Houston (leaving soon) to gamble that there might be a backcountry site available tomorrow? I drive a 2WD Tahoe that has made it down every backroad in BBNP besides Black Gap. I would appreciate any advice, as the thought of driving our 2 and 5 year old girls all the way across Texas and back without a couple days of bliss in the Bend  would kill my soul. Thank you.

Offline twystoflemon

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 01:26:13 PM »
I realize this may be a bit late, but FWIW, there are many private campgrounds in between and near the state and national parks. Check AirBnB, and more importantly for camping under the stars, check Hipcamp. 

Rancho Topanga is a campground located between Terlingua and Lajitas with very reasonable rates, showers, and flush toilets. This campground isn't remote by any means (you can still hear Hwy 170), but it's convenient to Barton Warnock and the Ghostown. The Maverick RV campground in Lajitas may still offer tent sites. Though the sites aren't scenic, they are even closer to trailheads in BBRSP.

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »
We have a lot of 2WD accessible sites but you need to contact our parks reservation desk ASAP to see what is available. With the shutdown we are going to have a lot of competition for sites,... especially 2WD accessible sites. Call (512) 389-8919 and see if you can get Ojito Adentro, Agua Adentro, Vista de Bofecillos, Papalotito Colorado, Papalote Escondido, or any of the sites along the River Road (FM170) such as Grassy Banks or Lower Madera.

I had planned on doing the Rancherias loop Jan. 2-4, that was before this whole shutdown mess.  I like solitude when camping/hiking.  My schedule is flexible, so I assume it would be better to wait until later in January.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »
Would it be worth the 11-12 hour drive from Houston (leaving soon) to gamble that there might be a backcountry site available tomorrow? I drive a 2WD Tahoe that has made it down every backroad in BBNP besides Black Gap."

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. There are a TON of people in town right now and BBRSP is basically full so making a drive out from Houston is definitely a big gamble. There is also the added reality that, starting tomorrow, it is going to get VERY cold down here, which should basically complicate everything. I wish I had better news, but the shutdown is having a major impact down here.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:59:39 PM by Ranger Tim »
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »
*sigh* I'm in a similar spot next week. Just called the reservation # and am awaiting a call back. This was supposed to be the start to a retirement celebration trip.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 04:06:55 PM »
well I *did* get a site for four days. Not my first choice, but I may see if things change. At least i got my foot in the door and know I have a spot.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
well I *did* get a site for four days. Not my first choice, but I may see if things change. At least i got my foot in the door and know I have a spot.

Glad to hear it, AGC! Lemons into lemonade. Hope it turns out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »
....and more importantly for camping under the stars, check Hipcamp. 

Cool. Never heard of it. Thanks, Twyst!!!

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »

I know you will make the best of it and congratulations on the beginning of retirement!   :kaos-cactus06:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »

Glad to hear it, AGC! Lemons into lemonade. Hope it turns out well.

Thank! I can't complain; camping out in the Big Bend area one way or the other is a fine way to pass the time.

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 09:34:24 PM »

I know you will make the best of it and congratulations on the beginning of retirement!   :kaos-cactus06:
Thanks! So far it's been hard work. :-\

Offline Floundered

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 11:19:04 AM »
Just got back fro a few nights in La Posta. Beautiful site, and beautiful park, I am glad to have had the chance to see it and will definitely be back.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!