Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

BBRSP roads

• 11 Replies

Offline pkripper

• Kangaroo Rat
BBRSP roads
« on: October 23, 2018, 11:51:47 AM »
What would be considered the toughest road in the park and why?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: BBRSP roads
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 01:44:40 PM »
There are so many metrics for what constitutes a "tough" road that it would be unrealistic to provide a single answer. Instead I will offer a few examples. For instance, the road from Cat Spring to Papalote Alto is difficult because it crosses diverse and fragile geology and gets traveled so infrequently that it is almost impossible to find at times. The same could be said for the high clearance 4x4 roads in the Solitario. Compare that with the Las Burras Loop (or the Las Burras Road in the interior) that simply covers some brutally rough terrain and features steep washouts, deep ruts, and a generally rough surface. The road to Chorro Vista would also fit into this group with the addition of a steep hill that terrifies even much of the park staff (I have had people scream on that section on multiple tours). The road into Fresno Canyon also features a steep hill with high exposure but then you are in the bottom of a deep canyon with frequently deep sand. There is a lot of diversity in our "tough" roads. What kind of tough are you after? We probably have it.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline pkripper

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 02:40:15 PM »
Thanks Tim. We are a group of about 5 vehicles that are well equipped. Just looking for more of a challenge than Black Gap and River Road.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »
Thanks Tim. We are a group of about 5 vehicles that are well equipped. Just looking for more of a challenge than Black Gap and River Road.
From what I've heard, most of the BBRSP "roads" would qualify as tougher than those two.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Oh yeah, we can provide it alright. The monsoons have wrecked much of our road system, so any trip in the next few months will need to be pretty self-sufficient. I know a lot of folks on this board will have opinions on the "toughest" but when you get a little closer to coming out give us a call and let's see what we can line out for your group. I trust you have downloaded and read "Roads to Nowhere"?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_0152k.pdf
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline pkripper

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
Oh yeah, we can provide it alright. The monsoons have wrecked much of our road system, so any trip in the next few months will need to be pretty self-sufficient. I know a lot of folks on this board will have opinions on the "toughest" but when you get a little closer to coming out give us a call and let's see what we can line out for your group. I trust you have downloaded and read "Roads to Nowhere"?

Thank you. Leaving tomorrow. Are you in a visitor center? Would love to stop by and say hello.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
I am at the Barton Warnock Center in Lajitas, TX. Unfortunately, I won't be around this weekend as I will be doing an earth oven demonstration at the Terlingua Green Scene in support of our community garden and community center. You can find me at the event, however, should you be around. I go on at 1:30 and it is a good cause. You might even get to eat some sotol.
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »
If I can chime in... I've been out there a couple of times and plan on overlanding the park again this holiday.
So far, Paseo al Solitario has been the toughest trail out there for me. There are a couple of sections that were technical, the rest was varied terrain from washouts to loose dirt/rocks on the trails.
I think all the trails Ranger Tim mentioned I haven't hit yet, so now I have to start looking them up :)
If you have an hour, here is about 3/4ths of the Paseo Al Solitario trail.
We turned onto this trail on a whim and I realized I didn't have the camera turned on until we were turning around after taking a wrong turn into a washout.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
There are so many metrics for what constitutes a "tough" road that it would be unrealistic to provide a single answer. Instead I will offer a few examples. For instance, the road from Cat Spring to Papalote Alto is difficult because it crosses diverse and fragile geology and gets traveled so infrequently that it is almost impossible to find at times. The same could be said for the high clearance 4x4 roads in the Solitario. Compare that with the Las Burras Loop (or the Las Burras Road in the interior) that simply covers some brutally rough terrain and features steep washouts, deep ruts, and a generally rough surface. The road to Chorro Vista would also fit into this group with the addition of a steep hill that terrifies even much of the park staff (I have had people scream on that section on multiple tours). The road into Fresno Canyon also features a steep hill with high exposure but then you are in the bottom of a deep canyon with frequently deep sand. There is a lot of diversity in our "tough" roads. What kind of tough are you after? We probably have it.
Ok, you have me surfing the Discovery Map again!  HAHA

Cat Spring to Papalote Alto?  Is that the same as Papalote de la Sierra?  We will be out that way for 2 days on the 29th and 30th of December. The goal is to explore the trails and find the gorge.

Before that we plan on hitting trails in the Solitario, Rancherias loop possibly and the Botella trail.
It's going to be a fun week!

-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »

Hey Tim that link to Roads to Nowhere doesn't seem to work. 

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
It took about 45 seconds for it to load up for me.  It's 1.72 MB so it's not too big.  Maybe there is a lot of folks opening it, haha.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!