Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

BBRSP Roads 9/22/19

• 10 Replies
BBRSP Roads 9/22/19
« on: September 23, 2019, 10:07:03 PM »
FYI, just a heads up if you're headed that way now:
Sept. 22, 2019 - Due to heavy rains, unpaved park roads are in terrible condition. Traveling to the interior of Big Bend Ranch State Park is not recommended - this includes to the Sauceda Ranger Station. We are working to make the road passable.

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: BBRSP Roads 9/22/19
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 10:16:47 PM »
By all appearances it would seem the monsoon has really kicked in the last week or so...  :eusa_think:

Offline westtexasrambler

• Jack Rabbit
    • Rio Bravo Ranch Campground
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 07:33:32 PM »
Check out our Instagram for video of Alamito Creek/Rio Grande coming down.  Terneros and Black Hills came down similar.

Alamito ran for a good 20+hours

@riobravoranchtx

‘Rambler

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"People always talk about my drinking but they never ask about my thirst." -Bandera songwriter

Offline westtexasrambler

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »
We have a friend in the park and we invited him over to dove hunt but he said he couldn’t get out Saturday night.

"People always talk about my drinking but they never ask about my thirst." -Bandera songwriter

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 08:19:06 AM »
These kind of storm events are pretty typical for our monsoon season. When visiting the park during the monsoon, one must be prepared with extra food and water in order to shelter in place for as much as two or three days. Both Black Hills and Terneros Creeks have large capture basins and are prone to flooding. Terneros in particular has claimed several vehicles, though mercifully no lives.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:51:17 AM by mule ears »
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline KarHalep

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 10:51:28 AM »
Hi there! First time poster here. I know it can change day to day during monsoon season, but what are the Papalotito Colorado campsite and the trip in to Sauceda Station looking like currently for Tuesday through Thursday of next week? We will be staying at the Indian Lodge at DMSP for a couple days then planning on heading down to camp at BBRSP. This will be our first trip out to BBRSP and we have a stock 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. We just want to be prepared in case we can't get in. Will think about camping at the national park instead if conditions don't look good at BBRSP.

Also, if we are able to camp at BBRSP, does Sauceda Ranger station have firewood. Or do we need to bring that in? Any advice/help on what we should do will be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:55:49 PM by KarHalep »

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
Road conditions to Papalotito Colorado and Sauceda should be fine. We do, however, no longer have firewood available for purchase, so you will need to bring your own. If you are ever concerned about road or other conditions, feel free to call the Sauceda Visitor Center at 432-358-4444
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline westtexasrambler

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 08:53:23 PM »
KarlHarlep,

I have PM’d you regarding firewood.  We have wood for purchase near the park entrance.

‘Rambler

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
KarlHarlep,

I have PM’d you regarding firewood.  We have wood for purchase near the park entrance.

‘Rambler

Hey Rambler,
Just curious for my next venture out that way... Do you have a map or something showing where your camp spots are at?
IE: In relation to the river or Casa Piedra Rd.
I'd like to put something together combining camping at your place and the park.  Earliest would be Spring 2020 if everything works out. 
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline westtexasrambler

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
Yes, I’ll get it to you.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 08:58:11 AM »
Muchas Gracias. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!