Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

BBRSP Trip Plan 2/8-2/10

• 11 Replies

Offline M2kayak

• Kangaroo Rat
BBRSP Trip Plan 2/8-2/10
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »
We are planning to drive down from Lubbock on 2/8 and have campsites reserved at BBRSP La Cuesta (2 WD). Our party consists of 5 adults and 3 kids (2,3,7). This is my first time camping at Bbrsp, and my first time to the region in 20 years.  I cannot wait to stare at the stars. We were originally planning to do a boomerang kayak (we have our own) and hybrid kayak/ canoe  trip at Santa Elena, is this still feasible with the shut down? I am thinking possibly since we could put in at Lajitas, paddle up and then float back? If not feasible, should we leave our kayaks at home? I am not wanting to do too long a trip and get into needing a shuttle. I also considered hiking closed canyon. Thank you for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline M2kayak

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: BBRSP Trip Plan 2/8-2/10
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »
I should add that this is a short trip, and my way of indoctrinating my family into BB region and hoping to return ASAP.

Offline M2kayak

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
Well, on second thought I think 20 miles is ambitious for a boomerang (with the kids). It may be the case that SEC is off the table. Any other doable boomerangs in BBRSP?

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:34:42 PM »
Have you considered floating some of the canyons above Santa Elena?

Offline M2kayak

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »
Have you considered floating some of the canyons above Santa Elena?
I was looking at that. Any specific trips you would recommend?

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:42 PM »
The only one I've floated is Santa Elena, so I can't speak with any personal experience about the ones above it.  They won't be nearly as dramatic as SE, but, if you're like me, any time spent on the water is never wasted.

This should provide you a good starting point,
 http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/riogrande2.html

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:11:08 PM »

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »
Are you camping in an RV? La Cuesta is an RV only site and certainly not our best spot if you re not bringing an RV. Santa Elena is right out with the shutdown, and the water is very low, so your float might be a tough thing to achieve. You might try Colorado Canyon in BBRSP, which will seem more like canoe supported hiking, but the take out is at La Cuesta. The put in for Dark Canyon is also at La Cuesta, though that will have some very shallow areas as well and you will need a shuttle. You might try launching at La Cuesta and doing an up-run, but you likely won't make it further than Panther Rapid.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline M2kayak

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »
Are you camping in an RV? La Cuesta is an RV only site and certainly not our best spot if you re not bringing an RV. Santa Elena is right out with the shutdown, and the water is very low, so your float might be a tough thing to achieve. You might try Colorado Canyon in BBRSP, which will seem more like canoe supported hiking, but the take out is at La Cuesta. The put in for Dark Canyon is also at La Cuesta, though that will have some very shallow areas as well and you will need a shuttle. You might try launching at La Cuesta and doing an up-run, but you likely won't make it further than Panther Rapid.

Thank you for the feedback on the kayaking situation.

Oh no! The rep on the phone said la Cuesta was appropriate for tents! If i need 2wd access (truck with kayak trailer, outback, and the real issue- minivan), and prefer to be close to river access, I will need to change to grassy banks or lower Madera?

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
Or Arenosa. I think that you would be very disappointed with La Cuesta in a tent,... it's paved and right by the road. I'll call them back and get that settled ASAP
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline M2kayak

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 02:04:07 PM »
I have attempted to call to make the change to arenosa or grassy banks depending on availability for 2/8-2/10. Looks like they are in training for the new system.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »
I have attempted to call to make the change to arenosa or grassy banks depending on availability for 2/8-2/10. Looks like they are in training for the new system.

Call or come by the Barton Warnock and we can change your reservation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Big Bend Chat mobile app

- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!