Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Best campsites in BBRSP for 2wd high clearance

• 11 Replies

Offline niczen

• Kangaroo Rat
Best campsites in BBRSP for 2wd high clearance
« on: June 13, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »
Hello all!

I am new here and love reading all the info everyone has posted. I have scrolled through a few pages and not been able to find an answer to my question...we are planning a 3-4 day trip in July (I know, it will be hot) but it's our anniversary and we really want to go to Big Bend this year. The national park looks great, but we want to do tent camping and not in a big campsite with tons of people, so I think the state park is the way for us to go. We have a 2wd 4Runner, factory ride height, and I would like to know which campsites are the best options for us. I see conflicting information between the interactive map and the guide as to what sites are accessible, so I figured someone here could help us out. We are planning on doing some hiking and stargazing/astrophotography with our telescope, if that helps narrow down sites. I appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have!

Thanks!

Offline Jpw2913

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Best campsites in BBRSP for 2wd high clearance
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
This isn’t exactly and answe to your question, but they’ve had some good rain out there lately.  So some of the normal 2wd roads may be washed out and tougher than normal.  Some here might know more info, but the rain will cause some normally “easy” roads to be more difficult. 

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:41:08 PM »
If it rains, the roads will be questionable. Be aware that there are also many tent camping backcountry roadside sites in the NP too. My concern would be the heat. Pretty much all vehicle accessible sites are pretty low elevation and it’s going to be way hot. If you’ve camped in the low desert in the summer before you know, but if not you may be shockingly hot.
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:17:11 AM »
Imagine the ground being 90 + degrees the entire night.  The only way to sleep on it is with a big thermorest pad to insulate you from the heat.  Second is not to sleep on the ground at all, but up on a cot.  I would suggest Fort Davis state park or Chisos campground for car camping during the summer if you are not backpacking up into the Chisos.  Be aware there is a good size fire still burning west of Fort Davis.

UPDATE this morning says the fire is 100% contained. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:40:49 AM by elhombre »
The Tolerant Left  Masters of the Universe at Apple, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Criteo, Vimeo and Spotify removed Alex Jones and other conservative voices.  Liberals control every newspaper and cable network except Fox.

Google    "The Good Censor"

May God bless America

Offline fullmetaljacket6793

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:34:29 AM »
I know your not getting the answers you were hoping for but everyone is just looking after your health. Big Bend has claimed many lives and if your not familiar with this area it can easily take yours.I will give you a answer thou because sometimes its better than no answer. My first suggestion would be to ask a ranger at panther junction. They will give you the road conditions. It will greatly depend on that. You also need to make sure that it wont rain while you are there. Yes i know that can be hard to judge sometimes because storms pop out of nowhere in the Bend. You also cant depend on cell phones. I would suggest going with another vehicle of getting a epirb. If your vehicle breaks down and yes its a big possibility in this heat then there is almost no chance of hiking out. You cant depend on the rangers finding you quick enough sometimes. Bring way way way more water than you intend to use. Tell more than one person where you are going and please just be safe. Well i will give you one suggestion that isnt very bad in 2wd is paint gap. Its pretty and good for star gazing. If anyone can add to what i have posted please do. Have a safe trip. Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline niczen

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
I definitely appreciate everyone's concern for our health, I think we will postpone this trip until fall just to be safe. Thank you all so much!

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
Gonna make a suggestion, In the NP the Pine Canyon sites PC 4 & 5, are at 4000’ - 4200’ elevation as compared to the Basin campground ~5000’ - 5100’.  I believe your vehicle could make it to the PC sites no problem - it’s all about tires and their condition.  It will be quite warm during the day, but should cool down some in the evenings.  As El Hombre mentioned, getting off or insulating yourself from the hot ground is key.  Just a thought and you won’t know if the PC sites are available till you get there.
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Los Ojitos is a good spot close to the main road a mile from sauceda and it has a lot of shade.  If you are new to BBRSP it's a great place to start!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Big Bend Chat mobile app

"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
Imagine the ground being 90 + degrees the entire night.  The only way to sleep on it is with a big thermorest pad to insulate you from the heat.
I haven't tried it, but I wonder how much use a mylar emergency blanket would be as a ground cloth in that situation.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 02:05:15 PM »
Depending where you are coming from, you could always rent a teardrop trailer.
For example, these guys rent them and have an option for A/C units.  You'd need a generator out in the boonies though.
https://www.basecamp-rentals-dfw.com/
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 04:05:30 PM »
I typically use a cot, but a simple ground pad should be fine. That terdrop should be fine at Los Ojitos but an AC isn't going to do you much good given that we don't permit generators
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 08:12:47 AM »
I typically use a cot, but a simple ground pad should be fine. That terdrop should be fine at Los Ojitos but an AC isn't going to do you much good given that we don't permit generators
oops, I forgot about that.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!