Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Best day hikes mountain bike trails& tent camping?

• 7 Replies

Offline CJW

• Kangaroo Rat
Best day hikes mountain bike trails& tent camping?
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »
What are the must do day hikes and the best tent campground in the bend for 4 full days?How about Mountain bike trails? Thanks!!!!!   

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Best day hikes mountain bike trails& tent camping?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:43:13 PM »
Sorry, no mountain bike trails in the bend, but you can go on the backroads....Glenn Springs, Black Gap, Old Ore are good ones.  Pretty much any campsite along those roads are good. Fresno on River Road East is good near the Mariscal Mines.

Good day hike trails include Lost Mine, Pine Canyon, the Window.....

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:48:32 PM »
Uhh, in the BBRSP they actually rent mountain bikes.  I'd call the ranger station.

Al

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
What are the must do day hikes and the best tent campground in the bend for 4 full days?How about Mountain bike trails? Thanks!!!!!  
Day hikes:
Cinco Tinajas
Ojito Adentro
Rancho Viejo
Mexicano Falls
Madrid Falls

Campsites:
Pila Montoya 2 & 3 (3 is better)
If you have 4wd, I know that Guale 2 is breathtaking and I've heard people whispering under their breath about Chorro Vista, which happens to sit near both Madrid and Mexicano Falls.  I don't know, because I've never been there, but I'd guess that any of the sites along the jeep road begining with Mexicano 1 to Chorro Vista would be real nice.

Also, I hear (don't know) that Fresno Canyon is a must see.  It has trails and campsites.  4wd is the key to getting you the sweet campsites.

As far as biking goes, any of the jeep trails should suit your needs.  There is also the Horse Traps hiking and biking trail, which I don't know much about, other than it is a loop and it is near Sauceda.  Like Al said, they do rent bikes for a more than reasonable fee, which I don't remember. 

Offline Wisconsin

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »
Contrabando multi use trail at BBRSP is another good bike trail.  I think it is rated from easy to expert.  Pick up the east trail head at the Barton Warnock center.

Have fun, safe travels

Offline westtex

• Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 04:36:23 PM »
For mountain biking, head into Desert Sports at Terlingua.  Those guys have a short single track and they can give you tips on many other rides in the Terlingua-Lajitas area.
resist much, obey little

Offline toejam

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »
Better have thorn-proof tires!

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »
Your enjoyment of the back roads in the national park for mountain biking may depend on your experience. Most of these roads are very rocky and have portions of sand or loose gravel. There aren't a lot of sections that have packed dirt that you might encounter elsewhere.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!