Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Bend Ranch By LOUIS B. PARKS - Houston Chronicle, Nov. 30, 2007

• 4 Replies

SHANEA

Re: Big Bend Ranch By LOUIS B. PARKS - Houston Chronicle, Nov. 30, 2007
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »
Great read.  Thanks for posting it.  I'm chomping at the bit to get out there and explore the new vistas. 

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:34:33 PM »
I hear ya.  I'm just looking forward to getting to know this place.  Looks like it will be soon when we can all take a big bite outta the heart of this watermellon.

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »
i kinda wish it was still hard to get to the interior, at least some of it, so it will stay wild and uninhabited  :eusa_shhh:

SHANEA

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:01:18 PM »
i kinda wish it was still hard to get to the interior, at least some of it, so it will stay wild and uninhabited  :eusa_shhh:

Funny you mention that.  Me and my hiking buddy were talking about this as we plan on being out "soon" and it's not like the place is going to be over ran now that they have fire rings and shade shelters.  There still, fortunately, is not water at the campsites, no toilets every 50', etc.  No it is still wild and rugged.  I imagine most of the "roads" into the interior are 4x4 only.  Oh, perhaps one day it will be as "overran" as Big Bend National Park is, but I doubt it.  It will still be the die hards out there at BBRSP.  Let's face it, going to BBRSP is even further distance wise than Big Bend National Park - by at least an hour if not more.  Heck, once you get to Fort Leaton you are still twenty minutes from the gate and then the better part of an hour from the gate to the ranch headquarters.  Gosh forbid, it's probably going to take an hour or more from the ranch headquarters to get back into the new back country campsites.  When we were talking about our upcoming trip, I think we are going to establish a base at the Solitario area, there is not going to be any of this "running back" to Presidio for petro, ice, anything.  Better bring enough TP along.  Plus, water, there is water at the ranch house, but if you are deep into the back country, even roadside camping, you are a heck of a long ways for water. 

Some of the roads that I've been on at the ranch make Big Bend National Parks "Black Gap road" look like childs play.   Even Oso Loop, which has been open for a long time, is strictly 4x4.  From east Oso, you can go aways and it's not too bad, but going from the west is entirely a different story.  The simple fact that the interior roads are going to be pretty much 4x4 will keep a lot of people away.  Even with 4x4, some of these are not for the faint of heart and you'd better dang well have an extra spare and a plug kit with air compressor.  It's a heck of a long ways to roll a flat tire to Presidio to get it patched @ Tom's Texaco.   :eusa_drool:

Houston Chronicle ran a huge spread on it today

Bed down at Sauceda ranch

A real cowboy adventure

Ghostly Shafter attracts visitors  *** - I want to make sure I stop by and check out the Shafter Memorial Building next time I pass through there.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!