Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Camping report. Fresno Vista

• 19 Replies

Offline shavis

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Camping report. Fresno Vista
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 03:46:06 PM »
FJ40????
I'm planning an "overland" trip next year between XMAS and NYE.
I'll be driving your FJ's Grandson, HAHA.
Here's the grandpa(Jennifer's car)...We have some fix'n to do.  And my old Beater(she's gone, miss her).  Now that the 'newness' has worn off the FJ Cruisers, they are very capable offroad vehicles!  I still have an affinity for the old metal.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:37:50 PM by RichardM »

Offline maketo

• Coyote
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 08:58:27 PM »
I'm glad that you had a good inaugural trip into the heart of the park! With that said, I typically DO NOT encourage people to haul RVs or travel trailers into the interior. While we do not prohibit such an action it is imperative that you know what you are getting into if you so choose to do so. The road in is graded but is still quite rough with only a limited few places to turn a large vehicle around. Further, once you do get in there are only a handful of campsites (e.g. Agua Adentro Pens, South Leyva, Papalote Encino) that can even start to accommodate an RV or travel trailer. Further, there are no hookups of any kind anywhere in the park and there is no place to dump your waste until you get well outside the park itself. We have had numerous folks bring RVs out and most have experienced near disasters in the process, leaving sheared fragments of their adventure scattered along the road back to civilization. Like I said, I'm glad it worked out this time, but this trip sounds like an outlier from the pattern based on what I have seen.

Tim, can you elaborate on this?

The State park does advertise horse camping in a few locations that have corrals etc. Generally people drive their horses in trailers. We are in the area now and have been doing day trips on the trails around the Barton Warnock center but were planning on camping out with the animals. Our trailer is a 25 ft living quarters 3-horse setup - reading the above makes me think you would not want us there....

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 10:23:28 AM »
Maketo, I think that you could manage Agua Adentro Pens without too many problems provided that you just take it very slow and easy. There in plenty of room at the pens for your rig to turn around. You will want to call over to Sauceda (432) 358-4444 and check to see if they can provide water,  which we have in the past by water truck.  If the pends a re available we can probably set you up out of the BWVC or you can drop your trailer at the pens and drive the six miles to Sauceda and settle up there.

I think you were in yesterday,... do you have a strawberry roan named Flippee?
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
Many thanks.  Better luck next time with the foil-wrapped meal.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline maketo

• Coyote
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 09:26:30 PM »
Maketo, I think that you could manage Agua Adentro Pens without too many problems provided that you just take it very slow and easy. There in plenty of room at the pens for your rig to turn around. You will want to call over to Sauceda (432) 358-4444 and check to see if they can provide water,  which we have in the past by water truck.  If the pends a re available we can probably set you up out of the BWVC or you can drop your trailer at the pens and drive the six miles to Sauceda and settle up there.

I think you were in yesterday,... do you have a strawberry roan named Flippee?

Yes, that was us! We went to the West side of the contrabando trail system and had a blast. Right now we are in Terlingua until Feb 8 but planning on camping at BBRSP for a few days at least with the horses.

May I just say that you folks are doing an awesome job in the State park? Everyone is so friendly and the park is just very well run and organized.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!