Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Campsites that are not walk up?

• 8 Replies

Offline np59

• Kangaroo Rat
Campsites that are not walk up?
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »
I am planning my first trip to BBRSP at the end of this month. My vehicle is a 4WD Nissan Xterra (with new tires), I will be camping at primitive vehicle campsites.
I spoke with the reservation office yesterday, they mentioned that some of the campsites are "walk-up". I spent some time on Google Earth and it appears that at least half of the sites are walk up sites.
My tent attaches to the back of my SUV, therefore my ideal campsite is not a walk up site.
I have read Gary Nored's excellent campsite book several times, this is about the only piece of information that is missing. I have browsed the campsite information on the park web site, I can find no mention of which sites are or are not walk up.
Does anyone know where I might find this information?

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Campsites that are not walk up?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
You can drive right up to every designated back country site.  The only "walkups" are informal zone camping spots.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
And, of course, the backcountry High Chisos are obviously not drive up.

-posted using Tapatalk mobile forum app-

Offline np59

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »
My question concerns the State Park not the National Park - this is the right forum, isn't it?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
My question concerns the State Park not the National Park - this is the right forum, isn't it?
Yes, but not everybody pays attention to the forum in which something is posted. I've never camped in BBRSP, so I'll have to defer to someone who knows.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 07:58:58 AM »

Ranger Tim is your go-to guy for BBRSP

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »
I apologize for misunderstanding (duh!  You explicitly said BBRSP).  There are many sites in the State Park that you can drive up to.  Most will require high clearance to get to and some 4 wheel drive.  I know of at least a couple that you can drive to but the actual camping site is up on a ledge. 

The state park is lightly visited so you shouldn't have trouble simply arriving and getting one of them.   If you want to know ahead of time, call the park directly and ask.  Or maybe Ranger Tim, a frequent contributor to this site, will chime in. 
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline np59

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »
Thanks catz.

"the actual camping site is up on a ledge" - that is what I mean by a walk up site.

I am not worried about getting a site, I am hoping to get real good one (although I understand that they are all pretty good).

I did speak with the reservations office (they are in Austin), several of the primo spots are already reserved.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 09:06:51 AM »
The short answer is : Some you can, some you can't.  While one may drive very close to the majority of the sites in the park, some (like Chorro Vista, require a short hike to the actual campsite and table. In the past some enterprising visitors have simply driven over the barricades/ trails right up to the site, but I would say that that is a very dumb way to get an expensive ticket. If you absolutely must drive up (due to mobility issues for instance) I would suggest a site like Los Ojitos, Papalote Escondido, or the South Leyva Campground,... or pretty much any site along FM170.

Also, check out "Campsites of BBRSP" for more details. If you need more information give us at call at Sauceda (432-358-4444) or the Barton Warnock Center (432-424-3327). To make reservations, call (512) 389-8919.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_2059.pdf
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!