Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Casa Ramon round trip time?

• 4 Replies

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
Casa Ramon round trip time?
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:38:40 PM »
Some friends and I are driving down in March and wanting to explore areas of the park in our FJ Cruisers.
I'm trying to put together an itinerary for some friends and I, and one of the places we want to scout out is Casa Ramon and that area.
It looks like we can do a loop on the Casa Piedra trails.
About how long of a round trip would you say it is from Bofecillos road & 170?

It looks like it would at least be a good half day's worth of exploring, if not a little longer.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: Casa Ramon round trip time?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:39:04 PM »
Easily a half to full day of pretty advance overlanding. The Casa Piedra area is thick with brush and deep sand and will challenge both your driving and navigation skills. I would download and read "Roads to Nowhere" if you haven't already! I love going up there but I typically only make it up there once or twice a year due to its remoteness and the difficulty of getting around. As always, make sure to check in and fill out a special use permit before you go, and please post a trip report!

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_0152k.pdf
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:31:06 PM »
Easily a half to full day of pretty advance overlanding. The Casa Piedra area is thick with brush and deep sand and will challenge both your driving and navigation skills. I would download and read "Roads to Nowhere" if you haven't already! I love going up there but I typically only make it up there once or twice a year due to its remoteness and the difficulty of getting around. As always, make sure to check in and fill out a special use permit before you go, and please post a trip report!

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_0152k.pdf
Wanna go with us?  lol
Thanks for the info, i'll plan a full day of it just in case.
Yes, I've downloaded it a few times. In fact I re-read some of it again after I posted this.
So pin stripes aren't avoidable, I'm guessing. I got a few last year on the way to the solitario last year. Sounds like the terrain is tougher.
I'll post a report for sure and get that permit. Can I get one at the Warnock center?
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »
You can get that permit at the Warnock, Fort Leaton, or Sauceda. It is basically the mechanism that we use to both keep track of usage and keep track of you in case something goes south! As for the pin strips,... look at them as a badge of honor. I simply don't trust any rig without them!
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:35:47 PM »
Looking at my current itinerary, I'll be visiting both the Warnock and Sauceda stations on Tuesday the 7th of March.
We are going to fill up at the gas station and I'm going to go pick up my yearly pass at Warnock.
As of now, I think it'll be Thursday the 10th when we venture back up to Casa Ramon, so I'll stop by the Warnock station to get permits, etc.
That could change, but I think so far that's what my little group wants to do.

I've still got some small stripes from BBRSP and some bumper damage from Barnwell Mountain.  It adds character  :afro:
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!