Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Closed Canyon/Mesa de Nueve

• 3 Replies

Offline Demon Deacon

• Coyote
Closed Canyon/Mesa de Nueve
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
I've hiked into Closed Canyon before a few years ago, but I'm thinking about other ways to investigate it for a trip in January.  I'm looking at the possibility of hiking up the Mesa de Nueva, or the west side of Closed Canyon and checking it out from above.  Has anyone done this? Is this possible as a short day hike on the way over to BBNP? Is this a thing?

My crude research on Google Earth and Street View seems to indicate that this would be fairly easy from the river access to the west, but I'm not totally sure on that. Just curious if anyone has done it before, and how the going was? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:24:19 PM by Demon Deacon »

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: Closed Canyon/Mesa de Nueve
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »
I don't see why you couldn't climb to the top of either mesa, though I haven't done it and I don't really know anyone who has. I would suggest also closely examining the USGS topo maps of the area before you go to establish good potential routes. I often use a GPS and flagging tape as I explore new routes to high mesas as it can be easy to get cliffed-out once you are on top and trying to retrace your way back down.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline Demon Deacon

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
Thanks for the info and advice Tim. I was hoping you'd chime in.

The western side looks like the easiest access and is shorter, which would suit what we're looking for. I've planned a couple of different routes for just the reasons you suggested. It seems like it should be fairly easy to accomplish, at least as I sit here at my desk 2,000 miles away.... Can't wait to give it a go. I'll report back on the experience in a few months.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »
Please do! I may be in the field at the time, but I always encourage folks to share their adventures with the rangers at the park stations so that they have an idea about what visitors are up to!
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!