Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Day hike off FM 170

• 18 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Day hike off FM 170
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »
MTB Project is a GREAT resource!! I've used it across CO and NM and have been amazed how accurate the trail data is.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline dougstar

• Coyote
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 07:12:52 AM »
Thanks Tim.   I was going to do Rancherias Canyon in January but this route looks like it might be better?  Any thoughts?
Can you say what the route is like in the narrows?   It looks like it might be a lot of scrambling?

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 08:11:16 AM »
This hike as I have it described (Fresno Divide > Mines > Fresno Canyon back) is about the same distance as Rancherias Canyon but WAY easier. Rancherias is a beautiful hike, but you are in the bottom of a deep canyon trudging through sand and over boulders for the entirety of the trip. In this case, you are only in the canyon for the last half of the hike. The narrows can often be pretty slick, but there is a solid navigable route if you stay left (creek-left) and go high.

Again, I can't stress enough, to tread lightly around the ruin at the top of the narrows; it is in good shape but ruins are fragile and often VERY dangerous. Never climb on walls or go inside and do please try to leave the area as you found it.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!