Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Excited

• 7 Replies

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
Excited
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »
Sorry, no stories or questions, just wanted to say, "4 days!!"

My son and I head out bright and early Saturday morning for BBRSP.  I called Sauceda and talked to someone to confirm reservations.  Asked about burn ban and anything else we needed to know.

We set the tent up yesterday to insure it's all good.  We gathered and checked all our other gear.  Watching the weather it looks like the front will blow through on Saturday which is our travel day, leaving Sunday and early part of the week quite cold but sunny.  We have a Mr Buddy Heater for the tent, so no worries.

Have our maps and all the GPS coordinates and directions to various sites that all of you have recommended and sent us.  Again, we appreciate all that. 

Our plan is to drive straight to our camp site on Saturday.  Spend a few days exploring and then visit Terlingua and other sites on our way home Tuesday.

We'll definitely post pics/videos/etc when done.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Excited
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
We have a Mr Buddy Heater for the tent, so no worries.

Just be aware that catalytic heaters still produce carbon monoxide, albeit at very low levels. The heater has a low oxygen cutoff sensor, but caution trumps technology every time.

Have fun, but be safe.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:05:34 PM »
We have a Mr Buddy Heater for the tent, so no worries.

Just be aware that catalytic heaters still produce carbon monoxide, albeit at very low levels. The heater has a low oxygen cutoff sensor, but caution trumps technology every time.

Have fun, but be safe.

When I first read this I thought Presidio was wrong as the catalytic reaction (with sufficient oxygen) should produce only H2O and CO2.  However, with a little googling, I came across this document from the Consumer Product Safety Commission which does show evidence of small amounts of CO and more interestingly, to me at least, addresses the levels of oxygen depletion that can occur.

https://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/112559/co03.pdf

One small point of correction which doesn't change the seriousness of Presidio's caution, is that I don't believe the little buddy is catalytic.  I believe it is radiant.

Anyway, the first few pages of the above document are worth looking at if you have and use a catalytic heater.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline dillomaster

• Roadrunner
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:01:36 PM »
Have a great trip!  Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
I don't think the Little Buddy is catalytic either.

I have a catalytic and always make sure there is sufficient ventilation in the tent. I find that it really doesn't help that much though, and it always runs out of fuel before morning.

It is going to be cold out there this weekend - Chance of snow?.......I guess I better have plenty of warm stuff  :eusa_shhh:
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Raoul Duke

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »

I hear you brother.  I'm heading out to the Park on Thursday and am starting to count down the hours.  To quote Tom Petty, "the waiting is the hardest part!"  Enjoy your trip, and be sure to post a report full of pics.
"Getting bored with your neurosis?  Drop you analyst--drop him/her like a cold potato--and make tracks for the nearest river." -Edward Abbey

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »

I hear you brother.  I'm heading out to the Park on Thursday and am starting to count down the hours. 

I have an app on my phone that does countdown to events.  It has the hours so we're literally doing the same. 

One weather site lists a slight chance for snow on Sunday! It would be neat to see snow in Big Bend!

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
One small point of correction which doesn't change the seriousness of Presidio's caution, is that I don't believe the little buddy is catalytic.  I believe it is radiant.

Yup, you are correct. I didn't read enough of the description and thought it just looked catalytic. However, since it's not catalytic, the CO issue is even more important.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!