Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

First Trip to BBRSP - Seeking Winter Camping Advice (and Any Other Suggestions)

• 26 Replies

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
All I can say is I'm a bit jealous you'll be out there those days, lol.   :afro:
I have to postpone for another year due to an illness in the family.
Please post as many photos and videos as you can here.

Just some thoughts here.
There is a gas station right around Lajitas & Barton Warnock.  Fill up there before you continue to BBRSP.  There IS gas in Presidio which is closer to the park.
If you have spare gas containers, even better.

When you leave, if you have enough time & fuel, you can take HWY 169 toward Marfa.
If you have more time in your travel plans, drive toward Ruidoso then up Pinto Canyon Road toward Marfa. 
Pinto Canyon Road, Presidio, TX 79845
I personally haven't been on these two roads, but I hear they have great views.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:41:03 PM by RichardM »
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline DVD

• Kangaroo Rat
Great trip! Big Bend is spectacular. I'm consolidating photos from our phones and camera, and I'll post some details soon.

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions. We had a great time.

Offline DVD

• Kangaroo Rat
Finished consolidating photos. Here are few highlights

Morning coffee looking across the Rio Grande to Mexico (BBNP Loop Camp 1)

Looking up at our Rio Campsite from down on the river

Mariscal mine ruins, including this old car hulk

Boarding the rowboat to go back to USA

Lunch in Boquillos, Mexico

Castellan Mt

Yedra 2 campsite at dusk  (BBRSP)

Hiking Ojito Adentro trail

Moon rising above our campsite (Rincon 2) and the Flatiron Mountains - this site was so beautiful we stayed 2 days

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Looks like a great time was had, some really nice shots, thank you!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
Looks like a great time! Rincon looks like a great camping spot, I will have to try that one.
Did you get any 4x4 trails in?
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Coyote
Looks like a great time! Rincon looks like a great camping spot, I will have to try that one.
Rincon is great Willy, and you'll have a fun time getting there too!  ;)
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline DVD

• Kangaroo Rat
I'll work up a trip report with details.
We ended up doing more hiking than 4wd trails. That said, the trail to Yedra 2 was pretty gnarly - especially the last bit from Yedra 1 to 2. I got a kick out of the difference between BBNP and BBRSP regarding trail warnings. For BBNP River Road, the quote goes something like "Unless you have every confidence in your high-clearance 4WD vehicle, including multiple spare tires, etc , do not attempt this trail." And it was a trail that a Pre-Runner could take with no problems.
But BBRSP trail to Yedra 2 was a tough trail.
And then the trail to get to Rincon campsites was also some legitimate off-roading.

In retrospect, once we got to Rincon, we realized that it is an out-and-back trail that take approx an hour to get back to the "Main" trail  and other areas of the park. So instead of getting back in the vehicle, we spent a full day with a nice, leisurely breakfast and then did a long hike down the trail past the Smith ranch and toward the wax factory.

In case anybody is interested, here's a Google+ album with more photos from the trip.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPG7iUWhqLB-JKBgxj14k5pd6BOB9fI3YOJV2vagc07AVcx2cwoUwkxqEFeuqVZFw?key=bUpfSWduT1JSNTU3NXAwb2VDWkJKWFdxXzVpWllB

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
In case anybody is interested, here's a Google+ album with more photos from the trip.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPG7iUWhqLB-JKBgxj14k5pd6BOB9fI3YOJV2vagc07AVcx2cwoUwkxqEFeuqVZFw?key=bUpfSWduT1JSNTU3NXAwb2VDWkJKWFdxXzVpWllB
Well of course we're interested in photos!
This one is my favorite. 2019 calendar nominations should start in 8 months or so. ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:20:40 AM by RichardM »

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
Rincon is great Willy, and you'll have a fun time getting there too!  ;)

Perfect!   Thanks  :icon_biggrin:
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline DVD

• Kangaroo Rat
I finished the photo-narrative trip report.
We really had a great time and enjoyed the area. It would have been a much lesser trip without the advice from this forum. Thanks again!

Here's a link to the blog:
http://dirkvandyke.blogspot.com/2018/01/rio-grande-big-bend-exploration.html?view=sidebar

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
Dirk,
I really enjoyed that write-up and the photos.  I've long wanted to make that drive along the river road in BBNP, especially to see the Johnson ranch.  And the Crawford house in BBRSP.  You've whetted my appetite on both counts.  Thanks for that  :icon_biggrin:

I have an green Coleman tent similar to yours.  It was 15-years old when I bought it, used, at a garage sale nearly 20 years ago.  It's a heavy beast, but it's one of the easiest tents to set up that I've ever used.   Cots and standing head room.  Great for car camping.

Thanks for posting!

Offline DVD

• Kangaroo Rat
Hi Jalco,
Glad you enjoyed the write-up - we sure enjoyed the trip.
The tent is actually a "turbo tent." They were selling at Costco 5 or so years ago. Yes, it's a heavy beast - 65 lbs I recall. But it's nice canvas and set-up involves pegging the 4 corners, clicking the 4 side supports, and then pushing up the center. It just snaps up.

We borrowed a backpacking tent for the planned 1.5 mile hike into White Sands. :-)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!