Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Fishing along the river road.

• 26 Replies

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Fishing along the river road.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 07:39:56 AM »
A day spent fishing is better than.....well, you know the rest.  Sounds like a nice relaxing day.

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 08:11:56 AM »
Those Lubbock worms obviously didn't match the local patterns.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »
Really, like Jalco said, a day spent....

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 10:50:52 AM »
It was a great time! The Warnock Center had a nice display, friendly people and the scenery, beautiful. Temps in the mid 80's, you couldn't ask for better. But I agree with backpacker56, the worms didn't do their part.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
Sorry to have missed you Txlj. I assure you, despite the assertions of my colleagues, I most certainly do exist.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 01:10:01 PM »
Sorry to have missed you Txlj. I assure you, despite the assertions of my colleagues, I most certainly do exist.

Things are getting weird on BBC. First, Shoobz' post, then this. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »

Things are getting weird on BBC. First, Shoobz' post, then this. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Is Ranger Tim then an AI construct?

==> Sent from Flash's phone

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:25:02 PM by Flash »

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 01:58:38 PM »

Is Ranger Tim then an AI construct?

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 10:56:04 AM »
"Is Ranger Tim then an AI construct? "

I wonder that myself sometimes
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »
I would also like to dispel the notion that the Rio Grande is toxic. While there have been numerous contaminants observed in this river over the years, the reach through the Big Bend is generally free of heavy metals, petrochemicals, or fertilizers and is tested by yours truly every three months or so. If anything, the Rio Grande is probably cleaner than many other lakes and rivers elsewhere in the state!

As usual, ranger Tim trumps in with quality information. 

Here is, however, the acid test...

Ranger Tim, if you backpacked, say, the Marufo Vega Trail, and came to the Rio Grande River, would you comfortably drink that water after it had been purified, say, by a Sawyer?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:19:14 AM by RichardM »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 08:17:56 AM »
My only concern with drinking Rio Grande water would be the alkalinity and salinity. That said, depending on turgidity I might add some alum powder to knock down the sediment and then filter through a quality mechanical filter like those made by Katydine or MSR. I would probably avoid using drops or tabs unless I could get the sediment down first. One must be a little careful drinking large amounts of very alkaline water, owing to its laxative effect, but over a couple of days that shouldn't be too big of a problem.
- J. Frank Dobie

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
My only concern with drinking Rio Grande water would be the alkalinity and salinity. That said, depending on turgidity I might add some alum powder to knock down the sediment and then filter through a quality mechanical filter like those made by Katydine or MSR. I would probably avoid using drops or tabs unless I could get the sediment down first. One must be a little careful drinking large amounts of very alkaline water, owing to its laxative effect, but over a couple of days that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Good points, Ranger Tim.

I would probably avoid using drops or tabs unless I could get the sediment down first. One must be a little careful drinking large amounts of very alkaline water, owing to its laxative effect, but over a couple of days that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

I can add a data point to the discussion. During my December 2017 packraft of the river from Lajitas to Heath Canyon, I didn't bring a filter of any kind, only used pills. The first two days and the last two days, I was able to rely on fresh water in my Dromedary, drawn from state and national park spigots. But in the middle 3-4 days, I was entirely dependent upon river water. I drew it and used it; never bothered to let it settle.  :eusa_naughty:  Sure enough, by day 5, I had the squirts.  :eusa_doh:  Thankfully, I also had Immodium in my kit. 

That said, depending on turbidity I might add some alum powder to knock down the sediment

I've been discussing this recently with Mule Ears. I've used that technique during other hikes in the Southwest.  It's a nice solution: doesn't take much to do the trick. I've also wondered whether it would help in sediment-filled tinajas such as Wild Duck Tinaja (aka, for obvious reasons, Tinaja Latte  :icon_lol:)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!