Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Is this a new Rule ?

• 7 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Is this a new Rule ?
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:21:50 PM »
Looking at the new BBSP web site and this is the first time I have seen this:

Vehicle accessable camping -
"Campers are required to place tents in designated areas only. Desert resources are fragile. All visitors are required to haul out their human waste and pack out all trash. Portable privies are available for purchase at all permit issuing stations. Downed wood is critical to desert ecology. Gathering firewood is prohibited. Visitors may ..."

So now you are required to poop in a plastic bag if you stay at a primative car campsite.   I pay $3/ a day for me and my old lady, $8/day for a campsite and approx. $2/per Wag-a-Bag.

Someone please tell me they are refering to people who camp next to the river.  Has anyone who went out there in the past few months been told to poop in a bag at the back country sites?
First Russian Collusion, then Mueller, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Is this a new Rule ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »
At the back country campsites, yes, you are to camp in the designated campsite with table and fire ring.  At the two campsites we stayed at, the campsite was a short walk from the parking area to the fire ring and table area.  We camped in the parking area of the designated campsite and told the ranger we were.  He did not have a problem with this.  When truck camping we have a lot of stuff including large heavy ice chests, etc.  that we don't want to haul some distance from the truck.

Apparently the problem with cat holes is the Javalenas dig the up the poop.  We saw evidence of this around our campsites.  Thus the rule.  We didn't know about the rule so they gave us one to use and didn't charge us for it.  I recommend you bring your own potty.  There were 2 of us so it cost us $4 a night each to camp which really doesn't hurt that badly.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:18:09 PM by Al »

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks for your quick response.  I am no stranger to packing out my poop, but I did so because there was an obvious reason for going to the trouble for doing so.  On river raft trips, in places that get only snowfall and 1-2 inches of rain, or places where there isn't any dirt in the first place, like slot canyons.  I have yet to see javalinas wandering around BB sick from eating all the people poo around rice tank or glenn springs.

Man..., please forgive me, it just does not make sense.  I was planning on going out there for a 6 night trip and this kind of thing just really confuses me.  If a person was to compare the amount of people poo buried 6 inches to the amount of cattle, donkey, sheep, bear, coyote, and javalina poo on the ground.  I guess I just need to keep remembering that I am dealing with a government agency.  :willynilly:

Thanks again for the info.  Time for a beer.
First Russian Collusion, then Mueller, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »
Believe it or not, it's a public health issue because of potential exposure of the next campers to the feces.  That's the main reason you're suppose to bury it to start out with.  When the Javalenas dig it up, it become exposed to the environment.  I tend to be with you that it's not that big a deal given how lightly the campsites are used but I can understand why they felt the need to do it given they do have sanitation responsibility for the park.

Al

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:58:12 PM »
For $10 you can have one of these and pooping will be much easier and easier to pack out!

There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

SHANEA

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »
Yes, I have one of those and used it on Randell's and mine trip to Big Bend last year.  Worked great.

Also, they are very concerned about vehicles, campers, etc. and have specific designated areas for tents.  Doesn't appear that they want any campers/RV's, R2D2's out in the wilds.  When I talked to them on the phone, they were very adamant about  natural resource protection and the use of no generators in the back country.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 06:19:58 PM »
Hmmm...I somehow missed this rule.  Fortunately, I enjoy taking a bit of a walk in the morning to do my business, so maybe I was far enough away from camp to not do (pun) any damage. 

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 09:33:10 PM »
Gives new meaning to what you say at the end of a backpacking trip..."let me get all this sh** out of my pack.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!