Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Madera Canyon Campground vs Grassy Banks

• 3 Replies

Offline Repoman73

• Kangaroo Rat
Madera Canyon Campground vs Grassy Banks
« on: October 03, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »
Which one has better views and a better chance of being secluded? It's just going to be three people in tents.  I am leaning towards Madera Canyon.  Also, should I be concerned camping down by the river as far as break-ins?

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
Re: Madera Canyon Campground vs Grassy Banks
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »
From the aerial view on google, I like the looks of Madera Canyon, but both are right off the road, so I wouldn't call either secluded.
Madera seems to have less camp sites, so less people.
Have you thought of getting off the pavement and driving into the park itself?  There are more secluded spots with great views.
I'm not an expert, but everything I've heard is that it's safer down there than in the big towns and cities.  Not sure about break in's though.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »
Upper Madera is next to the road. However, lower Madera drops down into the creek bed and is obscured from the road. The two sites with remudas along the river get a lot of traffic due to the local outfitter’s  using the river access as a takeout/put in..

According to Google Earth it looks like they have added additional sites to the west of the latrine since I have camped there, not sure if you can see road traffic from those sites.

I have camped at the first cul de sac west of the latrine and it was very quiet and secluded. The only visitor in 5 days was a ranger asking how long we were planning to stay.

Never had a problem with break ins at Madera.

Definitely Madera over Grassy Banks in my opinion.

Don
Don
Fort Worth

Offline Repoman73

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:19:01 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Yeah I am looking at a couple of spots inside the park as well but I am planning to be in the National Park early one morning so the interior of the park is a little too far out for me at least one day.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!