Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Madrid Falls

• 3 Replies

Offline kevint

• Black Bear
    • Pictures
Madrid Falls
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:52 PM »
Just curious about the drive and hike to Madrid Falls.  How rugged is the drive?  On the BBRSP discovery map the road is listed as 4WD but not as unmaintained.  I understand the hike is about 2 miles.  How strenuous?  Is it mostly flat?  Any scrambling?
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Madrid Falls
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
Kevin,

This might provide the info you are looking for:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_p4507_1437_2014.pdf

If you can't link to it from here, look for the El Solitario newsletter link on BBRSP's main page (right hand side, under Maps & Publications).

This is the loop I would like to do as well.

Not sure when you are planning on going, but you may want to check the main website for park closure dates Nov-Jan.  I was bummed to learn the park will be closed over Thanksgiving weekend.  Guess that will have to be a Christmas visit  ;D

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »
The road up to that plateau is pretty rough. It's not horrible, but the steep climb up the escarpment will require 4wd, or a heavy foot. but a heavy foot will tear up the loose rocks in the road.

The trail itself is a fairly short hike, should be less than 20 minutes from the Chorro Vista TH to the viewpoint. There is one short section that is steep, but the rest is pretty flat.

but the views are worth the effort getting up there.

flat mesa top hiking on the way to the falls.

the only view i really have of Chorro Canyon

You'll only get a glimpse of the falls from above, to really see the falls you'll have to come from below. You can either get there from Fresno Canyon or the Pila de los hermanos campsite.

falls from below

Offline kevint

• Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Thanks Viper.

Kevint
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!