Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Closed Canyon Trail

• 3 Replies

Offline Tone

• Jack Rabbit
    • The Adventure Continues
Closed Canyon Trail
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
I was looking up the specifics for Closed Canyon Trail.  Toward the end of the trail, apparently there is a 12 foot drop.  The website suggested a rope and climbing shoes.  Has anyone ventured further?

One more question: it appears that the park cost is $3.  Is there an additional $3 activity fee?  I'm not sure how that works, so any information would help.

Offline Terlingua50337

• Diamondback
  • West Texas road trip? Get in......... I'll drive!
    • Leeds Fine Western Art Photography
Re: Closed Canyon Trail
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »
Last time I was there at that pouroff there was a good bit of water and about a gagillion bees so I left them with it and went back out.

WayneR

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »
There is a day use fee of $3 to explore Closed Canyon.  For your $3 you get a paper hiking description of CC where you are STRONGLY encouraged not to climb down the pouroff and not use any rope ladders that may be present.

I hiked the canyon last November and there were lots of wasps concentrated around standing puddles.  The further you traverse into the canyon the more water you will encounter and more wasps.  Use caution if allergic.  It is a great hike especially during midday heat as practically the entire hike is shaded by the canyon walls.

Wayne

Offline txhiker

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
You get in free if you have a yearly Texas State Park pass. Last time I was there the canyon kept on getting smaller till I reached a small pouroff with a big pool of water I couldn't circunavigate. I'm sure Bear Gryls would jump into it but I just turned around. There were a lot of bees as mentioned above.
"I wasn't born in Texas, but, I came here as fast as I could"
<---- Eating a prickly pear cacuts fruit as seen on Man Vs. Wild.
Mesquite, TX

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!