Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

March 2014 trip

• 57 Replies

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
Re: March 2014 trip
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
TJ Great explanation and perspective! I appreciate that. I do a little photo-shopping myself but I'm sneaky about it. I do it on the sly.

guc - I think Big Bend itself sorts out the timid and the brave. Humility is another thing altogether.

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »
Not a competition...
Except when it comes to the calendar, eh?

One of the things I like about the calendar is that it isn't just about art.  It's also about how we experience the Big Bend.  Some of the pictures in the calendar are beautiful--really beautiful.  (Will July ever get here?)  Others are less so (at least, to me) but together they express our experience.  I dare say if someone captures a poorly composed, flat picture of a mountain lion finishing off a mule deer with blood and fur on it's jowls, it's gonna make it in the calendar.  A tent nestled in just the right spot, or a roadrunner displaying some attitude or a snake taking a tiny sip of water from a spring (whatever happened to that one) or variation #932 of the window at sunset all comprise a part of what brings us back to this place.

For me, a couple of surreal pictures is OK--best applied like salt or chili powder--although, generally my favorites tend to be those that have been photoshopped just short of surreal.  But then again, the Big Bend is a surreal place at times.

-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 12:21:58 PM »
I come from the appreciation of photography from a warped and weird literature perspective. I appreciate the photographers who can capture the surreal of Big Bend by not using surrealism. However, that isn't to say I do not appreciate the surreal photos that use Big Bend as a subject. For those I really dig the artistic manipulations involved. But I see them less as a reflection of the area and more as using the area as a tool for other creative expression.

Yeah, that might not have made much sense.
Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
MikeW, wonderful photos/art/whatever! I love 'em!  :eusa_clap: Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a competition...
Except when it comes to the calendar, eh?
:eusa_doh:

Well I guess it could be called a competition, or an election, I like to think of it as a selection: Of all these wonderful photos(/art) which ones do the voting members of BBC select to look at monthly over the next year. Certainly many in this thread worthy of selection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you go to Flickr and zoom in enough you can see the Chisos and Elephant's Tusk. This from the *State* park 35 miles away!

I think there is intervening terrain between Elephant Tusk and this spot depicted in the photo, perhaps you're looking at Castolon Peak (aka Cerro Castellan)?
Fort Worth

Offline MikeW

• Roadrunner
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »
If you go to Flickr and zoom in enough you can see the Chisos and Elephant's Tusk. This from the *State* park 35 miles away!

I think there is intervening terrain between Elephant Tusk and this spot depicted in the photo, perhaps you're looking at Castolon Peak (aka Cerro Castellan)?

My ability to make mistakes has proven nearly boundless over the years and I'm not sure so I'm not gonna take a stand on this one.  I'll see what I can do about posting the zoomed-innest (like that?) shots I have in that direction.

FWIW, whether I saw it or not, Gary Nored says that is is *possible* to see Elephant's Tusk from there while Mule Ears is obscured.

So I typed the above and the thought "Good excuse to play in Google Earth!" It's looking like you're correct. Castolon Peak looks like it should stand alone - what I saw did. The orientation is right for it to look pointy & round not flattopped and long - it did. Elephant's Tusk, if visible, should appear to be one peak among several; what I was looking at didn't look that way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:31:25 AM by RichardM »

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
Great pics.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline MikeW

• Roadrunner
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
Ok, terrain id folks. I've uploaded the three shots I have that best show the view. Two are at a 35mm equivalent of 600mm, one is somewhat wider. I'm sorry to say I didn't do a fully zoomed run of the whole horizon toward the National park.  :icon_cry:

All three of the photos were uploaded at 100% over on Flickr. Those images are a LOT larger than these thumbnails. I processed for the best clarity and sharpness I could to help with seeing what's there.

These were shot from Chorro Vista in the State park.

TerrainID-1 by michaelhwhitten, on Flickr

TerrainID-2 by michaelhwhitten, on Flickr

TerrainID-3 by michaelhwhitten, on Flickr

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 08:40:28 PM »
Beautiful pics. If you are asking for ID's, then:

1) Sierra Aguja in front of Cerro Castellan in front of ? in front of ?
2) ? in front of the Window through which is Casa Grande
3) everything in front of everything  :icon_smile:
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline MikeW

• Roadrunner
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
Yes, sir, I am.

1) Thanks. That was what I'd mis-identified as Elephant's Tusk. I'm interested in thoughts on what's behind too!

2) The near stuff is in the State Park. I *think* it's a bit of the tail of the Solitario.

3) :) If you manage to get to the 100% view on Flickr then more peaks in the National Park are visible. I'd be also interested to see what id's anyone can put on them.

I appreciate the info!

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
2) The near stuff is in the State Park. I *think* it's a bit of the tail of the Solitario.

I am 99% sure the near stuff is Black Mesa, which is the only thing higher than Chorro Vista (about 200' higher) in a straight line shot to the Window.
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
Beautiful pics. If you are asking for ID's, then:

1) Sierra Aguja in front of Cerro Castellan in front of ? in front of ?

And Triangulation Station Mtn & environs are (not too far) behind Castellan, and between Castellan and Aguja.
John & Tess

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 12:20:56 AM »

1) ......I'm interested in thoughts on what's behind too!

3).....more peaks in the National Park are visible. I'd be also interested to see what id's anyone can put on them.

Looks like trtlrock found all of the difficult ones.  :eusa_clap:
Here is what I came up with:
(click to enlarge)

Fort Worth

Offline MikeW

• Roadrunner
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
Sweet! I've been away a few days and just saw the annotated photos.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!