Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

GPS Points/Tracks

• 3 Replies

Offline sonoraqb2006

• Kangaroo Rat
GPS Points/Tracks
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »
Does anyone have any usable waypoints or tracks for Big Bend Ranch State Park? I'm making a trip to the area in a couple of weeks, and this info would sure help me out.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
Re: GPS Points/Tracks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:51 AM »
Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

Offline sonoraqb2006

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »
Actually, I'm looking for the park roads or any trails you might have. Campsites and interesting spots you've marked would also be a plus.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
Actually, I'm looking for the park roads or any trails you might have. Campsites and interesting spots you've marked would also be a plus.
The attached file contains my tracks (including missteps) from my 2007 hike.  It also includes waypoints of all the springs I could find on the USGS topo map.  This means I haven't actually been to those springs, so don't count on them actually being there.  The exceptions would be the springs you can see along my route...I will vouch for those.  I also set waypoints at many of the peaks and high points in the park for the purpose of finding my bearing, if need be.

It sounds like you will be car camping and doing some hikes around your various campsites.  Is that correct?  If so, the most useful thing you might find in the attached data is information regarding routes around the Gaule 2 campsite.  Gaule 2 is visually stunning, but doesn't have much for protection from the wind.  If you choose to make it your camp for a night or two, the tracks that lead to Rancherias Spring might be useful for this very nice hike.  The tracks that lead out southwest of Guale 2 would take you to the edge of and into Oso Canyon - another very cool hike.  If you plan to hike into Oso Canyon, then I would say these tracks are almost necessary.  The spring waypoint in the bottom of Oso should be accurate.  Also, if it should be important to you, I found that cell phone reception may be had around Guale 2.

Regarding park roads, the park map should be quite helpful.  If looking online, it seems that the map found in the Solitario Newsletter has the best resolution.  This same map is provided at the park entrance and at Sauceda.  Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!