Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Number of visitors at state park right now

• 6 Replies

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
Number of visitors at state park right now
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:33 AM »
Hi Tim.  I had planned on hiking the Rancherias loop this winter but that was before the shutdown.  I'd prefer to see as few people as possible.  I'm also concerned that there are 2 spots generally recommended for spending the night that they may busy.  How many people are using the park right now?  Am I better off waiting for the shutdown to end?

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: Number of visitors at state park right now
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:47 AM »
Given the uncertainty associated with the shutdown, I could not in good conscience encourage you to wait. With said, we are orders of magnitude more busy than previous years. Believe it or not but we don't have a good mechanism to track actual visitation numbers over the short term, but based on cash revenues alone we are close to seven times as busy as this time in 2018.

I also think that you are right about Rancherias Springs and Ojo de leon potentially being a little crowded. With that said, there should still  be room but you almost certainly will see other people. I'd be happy to help you figure out an alternate route for a two to three hike elsewhere in the park. When were you thinking of coming down?
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline congahead

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 08:31:01 AM »
VivaTerlingua, you read my mind. Thinking of doing the RL in February. If the shutdown is still going on, I had the same "fears" (one of my main reasons for repeatedly going to the Bend is to avoid people except those with whom I'm hiking.)

Ranger Tim, thanks for the info.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail in WDC and the government will fully reopen soon and this will be a moot point. But I'm not hopeful.
"The animals here will generally try to avoid you, but the plants will hurt you every chance they get."

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:32 PM »
Given the uncertainty associated with the shutdown, I could not in good conscience encourage you to wait. With said, we are orders of magnitude more busy than previous years. Believe it or not but we don't have a good mechanism to track actual visitation numbers over the short term, but based on cash revenues alone we are close to seven times as busy as this time in 2018.

I also think that you are right about Rancherias Springs and Ojo de leon potentially being a little crowded. With that said, there should still  be room but you almost certainly will see other people. I'd be happy to help you figure out an alternate route for a two to three hike elsewhere in the park. When were you thinking of coming down?

Thanks Tim.  I have some flexibility.  I was thinking of spending next week out there.  I don't have any problem doing a few day hikes, but it seems like most of the stuff in the state park needs to be done overnight.

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 05:40:24 PM »

I guess one good thing about all those people on the trail, I wonít have to bring my PLB.

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:00:25 PM »
Bring it, along with a handheld GPS. Without the prominent visual landmarks of the National park, you can get lost out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
Bring it, along with a handheld GPS. Without the prominent visual landmarks of the National park, you can get lost out there.

Iíll second that. Itís been a few years since I did any backpacking in BBSRP, but I do remember experiencing exactly what Reece describes. Hiking in BBRSP is a little trickier than in BBNP.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!