Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Overnight Camping - 1 Night

• 5 Replies

Offline tecaterocks

• Kangaroo Rat
Overnight Camping - 1 Night
« on: January 13, 2019, 05:55:22 PM »
Good afternoon,

Looking for some suggestions for a moderate back country single night hiking trail suggestion.  We are spending our first two nights car camping in the park but want to have one overnight with camping with a decent hike.  Here is what we are looking at:
*  Two adults with 3 - 13 year old kids. 
*  Anywhere from 10-20 miles roundtrip
*  Would prefer a loop track but am ok with in and out as well. 
* 4WD vehicle available

The park sounds awesome everywhere but thought i would try and get some suggestions on trips taken. 

Thanks
TecateRocks 

Offline congahead

• Roadrunner
Re: Overnight Camping - 1 Night
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »
Do you have two kids who are 3 and 13, or will you have three 13-year-olds?
"The animals here will generally try to avoid you, but the plants will hurt you every chance they get."

Offline tecaterocks

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »
Yeah i guess that would make a big difference.  Three (3) 13 year olds. 

Thanks.

Offline congahead

• Roadrunner
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:21:57 PM »
That's what I figured, but stranger things have happened. I was trying to figure out a good 20-mile backcountry loop for a three-year-old and coming up empty!  :)

With your situation, there are all kinds of possibilities. If you want to experience the mountains, do an overnighter in the Chisos. Go up Laguna Meadow, pick any campsite near the South Rim, and enjoy the night. Check out the view from the South Rim for sure. Come back down Pinnacles the next day. Or do it in reverse. All camping in the Chisos is at designated campsites only.

If you prefer the desert, I'd suggest something around Mule Ears Peaks. It would be an out-and-back, though, on the Mule Ears Trail. Camp somewhere along the Smoky Creek drainage/plain. If you can arrange a shuttle or have two cars, start at Homer Wilson, go down the Dodson to Smoky Creek trail, head south and camp along the creek/wash. Come out Mule Ears Trail the next day. That's one of my favorite trips I've ever done in the park. I think it's around 13ish miles IIRC. None of that area is particularly difficult hiking, either on trail or off.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other good desert suggestions from the folks here.
"The animals here will generally try to avoid you, but the plants will hurt you every chance they get."

Offline tecaterocks

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 08:49:17 PM »
The Laguna Meadows - Pinnacles loop sounds perfect.  What do you think it will be like with the park shut down? 

I was originally posting about the State Park.  Would much rather drive an hour from our car camping at state park to do this hike/camp if i thought it was possible. 

Appreciate the suggestion. 

Offline congahead

• Roadrunner
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:00:06 PM »
Ah, I didn’t catch that you were looking at the state park.

My understanding is that while the shutdown is in effect, there is no overnight camping in the backcountry (and maybe even frontcountry) in the national park. Day hikes only. They’re not issuing overnight permits.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!