Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Planning questions

• 11 Replies

Offline And we’re off

• Kangaroo Rat
Planning questions
« on: December 14, 2019, 09:07:35 PM »
Hi all. I’m working on my plan for another visit to BBRSP. I will be headed there middle of feb. and was thinking of heading up to north west corner and check out Casa Ramon. Read thru the posts from early this year and I know it probably hasn’t improved but is there any more recent reports of the conditions up that way? Have high clearance and not worried about pin-striping, still have plenty from last trip down there HaHa.

Thanks

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: Planning questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
Was just up there recently and the monsoons did a number on those roads. There are numerous deep arroyo crossings that are definitely suited for shorter wheel base vehicles. Be prepared to use rock to build up the road through some of them. The upshot is that you will have 4G the whole time, but that won't help much f you still have to hike back up to Casa Piedra Road!
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline And we’re off

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 07:22:05 PM »
Ranger Tim thanks for the update on the roads.  Sounds like a good adventure and some exercise to boot. I can’t seem to find any information on the camp sites up that way, anything you can tell me about CASA RAMON site or PAPALOTE DE LA SIERRA site?

Thanks again

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:33:17 AM »
Yeah, there really isn't much to say about them other than they have picnic tables and fire enclosures,... and that they are remote as all heck! I'd personally say that the Papalote de la Sierra is more difficult to get to but also has better views. They are both accessed by the East Casa Piedra Road
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline westtexasrambler

• Jack Rabbit
    • Rio Bravo Ranch Campground
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
Have you had a chance to review Blind Willy’s trip report from last fall?  That is the most recent I remember seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"People always talk about my drinking but they never ask about my thirst." -Bandera songwriter

Offline And we’re off

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 07:57:15 PM »
Yeah, there really isn't much to say about them other than they have picnic tables and fire enclosures,... and that they are remote as all heck! I'd personally say that the Papalote de la Sierra is more difficult to get to but also has better views. They are both accessed by the East Casa Piedra Road

Thanks again for the info. I will plan on papalote De la Sierra for a night. OK plan so far is head into park Monday morning and check in at Sauceda then head to Guale 2 for first night. Next morning head up to casa Ramon and papalote de la Sierra camp. If all goes well should have plenty of daylight to take in the sites along the way. Now another question.  I was thinking head back to Sauceda station the next morning and then head over toward the Solitario.  For third and fourth day any recommendations for thing to see and campsites?

Thanks again do the info.

Offline And we’re off

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 08:00:00 PM »
Have you had a chance to review Blind Willy’s trip report from last fall?  That is the most recent I remember seeing.

Yes I have been checking out his post and videos. Also have his files downloaded into Gaia. Lots of good info has posted up.

Offline westtexasrambler

• Jack Rabbit
    • Rio Bravo Ranch Campground
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 07:20:28 AM »

Yes I have been checking out his post and videos. Also have his files downloaded into Gaia. Lots of good info has posted up.

Bueno, have fun! 

‘Rambler

"People always talk about my drinking but they never ask about my thirst." -Bandera songwriter

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 09:02:56 AM »

Awesome!  That area is a blast!
So if you saw the vids, then you know the trails are pretty rough. As Ranger Tim said, shorter wheel base is a plus, longer wheel based vehicles will have it a tad rougher.
I'll make a suggestion if you are heading toward Papalote De La Sierra as your first stop, use the West Casa Piedra Trail to drive into the area. It's a great trail in with incredible views but will take you a bit longer to get there versus the East entrance.
It's a nice route in that you drive up to the bottom of the Cienega mountains and then east  toward the camp.
Heading south toward Casa Ramon you might feel like you're loosing the trail, but those GPS trails I posted are right on the money.
The hardest part of leaving that section might be the climb out of that eroded section after you cross the railroad tracks.

If I can help in any way, feel free to reach out to me here or my facebook page TXpedition.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline And we’re off

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 10:07:26 AM »

Awesome!  That area is a blast!
So if you saw the vids, then you know the trails are pretty rough. As Ranger Tim said, shorter wheel base is a plus, longer wheel based vehicles will have it a tad rougher.
I'll make a suggestion if you are heading toward Papalote De La Sierra as your first stop, use the West Casa Piedra Trail to drive into the area. It's a great trail in with incredible views but will take you a bit longer to get there versus the East entrance.
It's a nice route in that you drive up to the bottom of the Cienega mountains and then east  toward the camp.
Heading south toward Casa Ramon you might feel like you're loosing the trail, but those GPS trails I posted are right on the money.
The hardest part of leaving that section might be the climb out of that eroded section after you cross the railroad tracks.

If I can help in any way, feel free to reach out to me here or my facebook page TXpedition.

Hey thanks for posting up. I have a K5 Blazer so wheelbase is pretty shorty at 106 in.. I was trying to figure out which way to go in and come back out.  I will take your advice on the route. I’m looking forward to getting out there. Thanks.

Offline taugust

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 02:10:16 PM »
Here is a link to the park campsite guide.  This gives detailed info on every campsite in the park.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_2059.pdf
I took the road less traveled by...

Offline And we’re off

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:42:07 AM »
Here is a link to the park campsite guide.  This gives detailed info on every campsite in the park.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_2059.pdf

Thanks. I have read through that and read through a lot of posts here. I am just trying to figure out which ones were the better ones  as I read some don’t have the best views. I have a plan pretty much worked out. Just have to toss a coin and pick where the last few days will be spent. HaHa

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!