Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Report from the Interior

• 5 Replies

Offline Ninersboss

• Jack Rabbit
Report from the Interior
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
Just got back from 5 days/4 nites in the park. Based at the Sauceda HQ and lived in luxury at the Big House -- I had company only 2 nites. House has a full kitchen, W/D and three BR/ 2.5 bath - very large. Park staff was very helpful. I rode hourseback one day (6hrs) to the north of HQ with a vaquero wearing a park badge--30 years at the ranch working cattle, and now wrangling tourists. One day with another ranger well-versed in geology, nature and history. We attempted to traverse the righthand shutup in the Solitario -- outside in -- and were blocked by a wall of boulders within maybe a 100 yards of the exit.  Hike was about 2 miles one-way and gained perhaps 600 ft -- lots of scrambling up some pretty steep rocks. Saw lots of campos de indios in the park. Some looked like they just left and would return any day. Also plenty of wildlife -- including mucho javalina and some very nice mule deer. Saw signs of bobcats and coyotes  but despite driving the roads at night, spotlight in hand -- no lions. Saw no burros or sheep and no signs. But there's nothing quite like having a 2000 lb longhorn bull rise up out of the brush and give you the evil eye. The Ranch has some beautiful longhorns roaming the range. Checked out a few of the campsites and found them with fire rings and tables. Some are set up near old stock pens and don't look too attractive but others are sited very well and have awesome views. Main roads are generally very good but washboarded and plenty of sharp rocks -- the two flats I had were on the main roads! I also did some exploring on some backroads and ran into a couple spots from which valour required a careful retreat -- mostly washouts from the rains and large rocks (which I might have moved, if more inspired.) Brush is also bad in some places and turned me around a couple time so's to avoid peeling the paint off the truck.

Population-wise, I saw less than a dozen visitors the entire time, and they were primarily stopped at the Ranch HQ.

For backpackers, there are many springs and pools with cool clear water. With some planning, I think you could cover some miles here and not have to haul in your water.

Here's a few pics:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:41:54 PM by Ninersboss »

Offline Ninersboss

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Report from the Interior
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »
A few more:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:02:10 PM by RichardM »

Offline Ninersboss

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:03:12 PM »
...and mas
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:08:16 PM by Ninersboss »

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:06:41 PM »
Beautiful photography.  Thanks.

Al

Offline Burn Ban

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:07:08 PM »
very cool report.  i love the sunrise.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »
Awsome photography!!..i loved the Mule Deer pic. Bravo!!
Stay thirsty, my friends.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!