Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Right Hand Shutup?

• 7 Replies

Offline MattInAustin

• Kangaroo Rat
Right Hand Shutup?
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:18:49 PM »
I am curious if anybody has hiked Right Hand Shutup from the road along the Fresno up to the Solitario?  Would like to get a sense for how easy/tough it is.  Guessing its pretty loose, but since it seems to be marked as a trail on the map maybe it's not so bad?

Any help is appreciated!

--Matt

Offline rgibson

• Coyote
Re: Right Hand Shutup?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:30:40 AM »
Have hiked Left Hand Shutup and Lower Shutup.  Have not been to Right Hand Shutup, but understand it is not hikeable.

Offline MattInAustin

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 07:16:25 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline lparent

• Coyote
    • http://www.laurenceparent.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:15:15 PM »
I haven't done Right Hand Shutup, but Left Hand Shutup is spectacular.  If you haven't done Left Hand, be sure to do it sometime.  You can drive to the upstream trailhead in the Solitario pretty easily these days.  I was in a 4WD vehicle, but didn't think it was hard.  Could probably do it with just high clearance. 

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »
We hiked the Righthand Shutup from Fresno Canyon RhS trailhead almost all the way into the Solitario and then back out. Made it far enough to say definitively that it is easily passable, even by a solo hiker of modest physical abilities. No ropes required. A little clambering here and there.

We had earlier done the Lefthand Shutup, which is drop-dead gorgeous.

The Righthand Shutup is even more amazing and stunning by several magnitudes, as impossible as that seems -- the bedrock and cliff walls change continuously, and the colors and twisted, tilting geology will have your eyes bugging out.

A must-do.
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
I am thinking about doing the right hand shut up - any pictures of your trip?

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »
Here's a few:

It took us about 6 hours to go in and then return. That was at a mosey, with a leisurely lunch as well.

John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 04:59:33 PM »
Huh...

Just stumbled over an old thread that strongly implies the RHSU might be impassable very near the interior exit into the Solitario:

We attempted to traverse the righthand shutup in the Solitario -- outside in -- and were blocked by a wall of boulders within maybe a 100 yards of the exit.  Hike was about 2 miles one-way and gained perhaps 600 ft -- lots of scrambling up some pretty steep rocks.

We stopped to turn around & head back out to Fresno Creek at the "X"...maybe you can't go any further east from there? Topo looks pretty tame east of that point, but we all know that could be meaningless...

Dunno...

John & Tess

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!