Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Trailer in BBRSP

• 6 Replies

Offline Utabb

• Kangaroo Rat
Trailer in BBRSP
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
I'm a newbie to this forum, but not BBRSP. A video of mine going down the Fresno Canyon trail two years ago got posted here and I started reading. There is a ton of great information.
We are thinking of coming back this Spring Break and I need advice. We have a high clearance tear drop trailer we tow with the Wrangler. We didn't have it two years ago and stayed at the ranch house. What would be some good campsites in the park for our rig? For reference, we towed it to Talley 1 in BBNP with no problem.
Thanks in advance!

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Coyote
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
Re: Trailer in BBRSP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »
I just got back from BBRSP about 2 weeks ago.
Mexicano 2 is a GREAT campsite that we wheeled to.  The next day we left there and took a back trail to Las Burras #1.  The back trail is called the Javelin trail and goes from Javelin Pens to the Oso Loop. From there you can head down to Las Burras.
Las Burras #1 probably isn't the best for a teardrop, so check with the rangers about #'s 2 and 3.
I'm not sure about the trail to Guale, but Guale 2 sounds like it would be awesome for a teardrop. 
If you want to see (It's about an hour or so long) the Javelin trail, check out my youtube video.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »
Nice vid, Willy.  Makes me want to fire up the Suburban and head out.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Coyote
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »
Nice vid, Willy.  Makes me want to fire up the Suburban and head out.

Thank you!  Yeah, I'm already missing my time out there.
Next trip is going to be to Casa Ramon... maybe same time next year, I'm not sure yet.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Utabb

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice Willy!  Your video is nice.  I think we will stay on the west side of the park this trip and explore those trails.

Steve

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Coyote
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »
I'm a newbie to this forum, but not BBRSP. A video of mine going down the Fresno Canyon trail two years ago got posted here and I started reading. There is a ton of great information.
We are thinking of coming back this Spring Break and I need advice. We have a high clearance tear drop trailer we tow with the Wrangler. We didn't have it two years ago and stayed at the ranch house. What would be some good campsites in the park for our rig? For reference, we towed it to Talley 1 in BBNP with no problem.
Thanks in advance!

I just re-read this... I think I posted that video.  haha
I didn't get a chance to go down Fresno Canyon this trip.
There are plenty of campsites along the main road, also on the east side is Tres Papalotes which you could reach with the tear drop.
Disconnect it and explore the trails around there. 
There is The road to nowhere and 2 mines you can drive up to.
Here's the main page for campsites on the website:
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch/fees-facilities/campsites
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline Utabb

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »
Thanks in advance!

I just re-read this... I think I posted that video.  haha
I didn't get a chance to go down Fresno Canyon this trip.
There are plenty of campsites along the main road, also on the east side is Tres Papalotes which you could reach with the tear drop.
Disconnect it and explore the trails around there. 
There is The road to nowhere and 2 mines you can drive up to.
Here's the main page for campsites on the website:
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/big-bend-ranch/fees-facilities/campsites

Willy,
Yea you posted it here. you made a comment on You Tube.  That lead me to this forum, so I thank you for that.

Two years ago we drove the Road to No Where and Fresno Canyon.  This year, we will set up the trailer and try to explore more of the West side of the park. Papalote Llano or Mexicano 2 are where we plan to set up camp.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!