Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trip planning: Late Oct\Early November. Advise please

• 20 Replies

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
Re: Trip planning: Late Oct\Early November. Advise please
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
In Presidio I've only ate at El Patio, and I can verify that the Asado plate is delicious.
I forget what I had last time I was there, but I remember I enjoyed it.
Well if you are in the DFW area, Grapevine has a Tolberts restaurant that has some great chili. In fact, I think he won an award or two, HAHA.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline elvis

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 06:32:01 PM »
Yes. Tolbert could stir up a nice bowl of red. :)
I have a question for you, the group and Ranger Tim.
I think Bofecillas road has two many dips and tight curves for hauling my trailer into the bunkhouse.  (Its a 14k heavyduty front end loader  dovetail goodeneck, and only 25 foot but that dovetail does bottom when I nose the truck up a steep transition.
Flying Google earth shows Casa Piedra much more level.
With full awareness of Ranger Tim's logical stance on any long/large/fragile rv traveling on rough roads:
Are there any dips or rises that are more than 20 inches and a quick transition? ( less than 30 feet)
I can predrive the route after the cookoff, as I can leave the trailer in Terlingua for a day while my buddies recover for the event ;) but that's 100 miles round trip, and will require me to refuel.  I dont like to purchase diesel at low volume facilities.  That has cuased two past stalls at highway speeds when my filters plug.

Any report on dips/rises on the roads in will allow me to either modify my dovetail ( section it, convert it to a small flip tail or bottom the gooseneck at the pin to raise the tail. Fabrication is one of my hobbies.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:57:26 AM by elvis »

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
I honestly don't know anything about trailers, but if I understand your question correctly, Casa Piedra coming from Marfa has some dips, hills, etc.
Bofecillos road from 170 is smoother, if my memory serves me right.
They both meet up with the main park road and that road to the ranger station has it's share of hills, dips and bumps.
I have a video from about 4 years ago of the Bofecillos road to the Ranger Station.  It's pretty accurate of the conditions from when I went back this past December.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline westtexasrambler

• Jack Rabbit
    • Rio Bravo Ranch Campground
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
I would take Casa Piedra from 170 over Bofecillos from 170 (with a trailer).  There are some switchback areas with sandy bottoms in the middle of that route from 170 to the main park road and you could get bogged down/run into rocks that are washed into the road, etc.  if coming from Marfa I would go Marfa—> Presidio—> Casa Piedra (Presidio CR 4) —> main park road.  If Lajitas —> then 170–> Casa Piedra—> main park road.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"People always talk about my drinking but they never ask about my thirst." -Bandera songwriter

Offline elvis

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 11:57:02 PM »

I will be west bound on 170 from Lajitas on the way in and through Shafter and Alpine  on the way out. I will take that advice and run with it.

Appreciate the feedback, and hope to get a chance to say hello one trip.

I would take Casa Piedra from 170 over Bofecillos from 170 (with a trailer).  There are some switchback areas with sandy bottoms in the middle of that route from 170 to the main park road and you could get bogged down/run into rocks that are washed into the road, etc.  if coming from Marfa I would go Marfa—> Presidio—> Casa Piedra (Presidio CR 4) —> main park road.  If Lajitas —> then 170–> Casa Piedra—> main park road.

Offline westtexasrambler

• Jack Rabbit
    • Rio Bravo Ranch Campground
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 07:39:21 AM »
Bueno! 

Have a great trip!

‘Rambler

"People always talk about my drinking but they never ask about my thirst." -Bandera songwriter

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!