Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trip Report

• 13 Replies

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
Trip Report
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »
Well my son and I had an excellent time last week!
We were there from 3/9 to 3/15 and the place was practically empty :)
The weather was absolutely wonderful.
It was in the 70s during the day and 40-50s at night.
My 6 year old son had a real blast exploring around the desert.
He also enjoyed sitting in the front seat!
The snakes weren't out yet but he got constantly reminded to look out for them.
We stayed two nights at Yedra 2, two at Fresno Vista, and two at Guale 2.
All very nice sites with their own charm.
I will say that Guale 2 took the cake....
What a place!!!!
Many of you helped answer some question in the other thread.
The tires did extremely well. I aired down to 25psi for the whole week and that was nice.
The main road with it washboards was practically smooth with the tires low.
However, that lowered my clearance to about 8-9 inches and I'd hit something now and again.
We explored much of the parks roads and they were in decent shape.
We obviously went all the way down Guale road, but we also went down Fresno Canyon and into the solitario.
Of course the truck got scratched to hell but I knew that going in. It's pretty much unavoidable.
To me, those roads weren't all that bad. I think they can be best described by saying a 4X4 enthusiast would be disappointed in the lack of challenge, but for an amateur off roader would find it a good way to learn a few things...
The road down the solitario and Guale had been worked on with a small front end loader.
They are obviously trying to make it not sooo crunchy....
We went down to Mcquirks Tanks (where we saw about 20 javelina) and it got a bit rough down there. Going past the tanks just got worse. We went a little way but it didn't seem worth it to go much further...
The main goal of the trip was for my son to have an exciting time exploring the desert.
He had been to the Big Bend area twice before but he was too young to recall.
This time I didn't have to carry him anywhere... :D
The hike to ojito adentro was a real treat, as was the hike to the cinco tinajas.
Those were really the only two 'formal' hikes we did.
The rest of the time we just explored around washes and draws and around the campsites.
The old homestead 'below' Guale 2 was kind of cool and that old road must have been something to drive up!
We went over to the Guale Trailhead and hiked around there (there isn't a trail there, just the trailhead  :willynilly:)
that was cool to walk along the cliff and look down into oso canyon.
Next time I want to spend more time in the southern portion where most of the canyons are.
That looks like some great terrain to explore.
I didn't end up with any flats, so that was nice.
We drove probably 170 miles within the park over the 6 days.
Every two days when changing campsites we would swing in Sauceda and get some water and ice.
Guale 2 was our last stop and the wind on the last night was kicking up quite a bit so we didn't have a fire.
So whoever got there next had plenty of firewood....
At Guale 2 they found a nice spot to sleep. It's behind some rocks so it protects you from the wind.
You also have a nice view
However, it didn't go without incident...
On the way out of Guale on the last morning, I torqued and twitched a little too much somewhere and snapped the sway bar link. It wasn't too bad, but I didn't know that at the time. I just took it real slow to get out to the main road.
In Presidio, I deemed it fine for highway travel and made it safely back to Austin.
I put up some photos here.
This place is a real jewel for those that really want to get away.
I truly hope they don't change the accessibility and the roughness will keep the numbers down.
It does seem that is the intent so it will be a great place to visit for years to come.
I can't wait to explore with just a pack on my back.
I think there are many great places to be seen.

Scott
Scott

Offline aggiehiker

• Black Bear
Re: Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:58:11 AM »
Great report and photos! Glad to hear and see your son had a fun time.

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:02:48 AM »
Great pics!  I've got to spend some time in BBRSP!  Looks like your son had a trip he'll remember a long time...

Cool.
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »
Looks like your son will make a fine Bender!  :eusa_clap: Glad you shared your trip with us. Nice pics too!
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »
Looks like a perfect trip!  Brings back memories of my trip to the ranch with my kids. 
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
Glad to hear you sacrificed the trooper for the fun.  In my opinion, the only reason for working is to be in the postion to take you and your family on vacation.  Leave the scratches on your truck so they remind you about the trip everytime you get up to go to work.  And don't let those tires waste away on aspalt miles.
First Russian Collusion, then Mueller, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »
Looks like you had great weather and an excellent trip.  Thanks for the report and photos!

Al

chisos_muse

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:48:11 PM »
WOW...it looks like y'all had the best time ever. :icon_biggrin: I can't think of anything better to do than spend time with my son like that! :eusa_clap:

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 10:27:22 PM »
Great trip report and photos!. Feel free to also post your photos if you want
to over at: http://groups.msn.com/bigbendphotos
-MarkB

Offline westtex

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 11:16:57 PM »
I just returned from spending three nights at Yedra 2.  Very neat site. 
Many cool canyons, washes, and ridges to explore.  The only problem I had with the newly formated State Park was that they have imposed a dog policy very similar to the national parks' policy (dogs basically cannot leave the road and must be on a leash when not in a vehical).  I don't think they have the manpower to actually enforce this law yet, but still a bummer.
resist much, obey little

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing the report.

I have been hesitant to take my kiddos out to the park (or to BBRSP)...but looking at your pictures made me realize it might be about time.

Look for my old green Montero in Austin...I'll looked for a Trooper with "desert pin stripes".
Vince

Offline cookch1

• Roadrunner
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 10:09:45 AM »
I just returned from spending three nights at Yedra 2.  Very neat site. 
Many cool canyons, washes, and ridges to explore.  The only problem I had with the newly formated State Park was that they have imposed a dog policy very similar to the national parks' policy (dogs basically cannot leave the road and must be on a leash when not in a vehical).  I don't think they have the manpower to actually enforce this law yet, but still a bummer.
that's too bad. being able to take my dog on hikes was on of the main perks for me. hate to hear this.

Offline billh

• Coyote
    • Wilderness in the City
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 10:17:20 AM »
what a great trip and what great memories you made with your son.

Offline Ay Chihuahua!

• Black Bear
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »
Hey, maybe us Austinites can find one another by our pin striping.  Mine's a big, blue, four door Tundra with some mighty fine custom pin striping a la BBRSP.

Great trip report.  Hope to be out there in the next few weeks...or months.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!