Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

TV Show - SOS: How to Survive, featuring BBRSP

• 4 Replies

Offline raptor()

• Roadrunner
TV Show - SOS: How to Survive, featuring BBRSP
« on: October 09, 2017, 12:20:13 AM »
I did a quick search and didn't find a thread so far on this so thought I'd start one.  There is a new survival show on the Weather Channel called "SOS: How to Survive" hosted by Creek Stewart who also hosted the show,  "Fat Guys in the Woods" (yes, funny title but actually had some good and entertaining survival content). 

There is a recent episode that features a couple who became lost in BBRSP and the episode detailed their ordeal.  Lots of good footage of the Big Bend area and the story itself is very engaging and highlights the dangers of the area.  I'm glad it had a happy ending.  Be sure to check out the episode if you can; I'm sure they'll have re-runs.  The episode is called "Desert Heat" and originally aired September 10, 2017.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
Re: TV Show - SOS: How to Survive, featuring BBRSP
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:55:43 AM »
This may be the same couple
http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/hiking-the-desert/lost-big-bend-ranch-state-park-hiker/

At one point, either on this forum or a different link, I read the story she published.  Very sobering.

Offline Jonathan Sadow

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:39:42 AM »
Yes, that's the couple.  I saw that episode, and while I enjoyed it, it was obvious that not all of the footage in it came from BBRSP (one shot had saguaro cacti in it, present in the U.S. only in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona!), and I think they called the place "Big Bend State Park" a couple of times.  I wish it had gone into a little more detail about exactly where they got lost - I know it was the trail going from the Puerto Chilicote trailhead to the overlook of Fresno Canyon and the Solitario flatirons, but anyone not familiar with the incident wouldn't know that and showing where they were on a map might have been helpful.  Ms. Frye wrote about the experience for her newspaper;  it's online here.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »
(one shot had saguaro cacti in it, present in the U.S. only in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona!)

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:  I'm surprised they didn't include some shots from White Sands or Great Sand Dunes. You can't have a real desert without dunes.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline raptor()

• Roadrunner
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:18:15 AM »
Yes, that's the couple.  I saw that episode, and while I enjoyed it, it was obvious that not all of the footage in it came from BBRSP (one shot had saguaro cacti in it, present in the U.S. only in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona!), and I think they called the place "Big Bend State Park" a couple of times.  I wish it had gone into a little more detail about exactly where they got lost - I know it was the trail going from the Puerto Chilicote trailhead to the overlook of Fresno Canyon and the Solitario flatirons, but anyone not familiar with the incident wouldn't know that and showing where they were on a map might have been helpful.  Ms. Frye wrote about the experience for her newspaper;  it's online here.

Yes, I noticed the saguaro as well and thought it a bit cheap to include that.  But, it was cool to see some actual BB footage as well.  The park and surrounding area is seldom mentioned in the media/TV shows. 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!