Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Good 1/4-1/2 day drives in the Ranch?

• 9 Replies

Offline beagle001

• Kangaroo Rat
Good 1/4-1/2 day drives in the Ranch?
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:30:19 PM »
Hola! First post here. The wife and I are loading up the Tacoma with gear and dogs and headed over to the State Park to spend a couple of nights at the Tascate 1 site. Anybody have any experience with that spot? I know it's stupid that we're brining the dogs but we promised them they could go on the next trip. With all of the dog rules there, we don't think there's any real hiking options other than Hoodoo and Closed Canyon. So, we are thinking of ditching camp and just driving around the Ranch part of one day. It's a 4x4 Tacoma but we don't want to get too gnarly. Are there some good, must do drives from Tascate (Just South of Sauceda about 45 min supposedly) that we can do in a 1/4-half day? Some little explorations that we can do via truck to go picnic and just see another section? Thanks for any input and glad we found BigBend Chat. Ya'll are our types of people!

Edit: Is Solitario too far of a drive to do a 1/2 day there and back?

Thanks!
Beagle
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:52:50 PM by beagle001 »

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
Re: Good 1/4-1/2 day drives in the Ranch?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
Never been to the Solitario but from the maps and a little familiarity with the roads I think its probably too long. There are numerous shorter trails that start along the main park road, driving west from Sauceda towards the park entrance. Cinco Tinajas and Ojitos Adentra (sp?) to name 2. Check the park map on their website.

Offline Mesquito

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:26:39 AM »
Iím not sure what qualifies as gnarly but you can drive out to Chorro Vista.  A little rough and the steep part might give you pause, but not a problem in a Tacoma. Iíve seen all sorts of surprising vehicles out there, some pulling small trailers.

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:07:10 PM »
Ok, I pulled up the discovery map from the BBRSP website (In the maps section).
If you go back to the main road from Tascate and turn right (south), it will take you to the Javelin Pens.
Just past the campsite is the entrance to a very fun, easy to moderate trail.
At the time I took it, I thought it was the Javelin trail, but since then everyone I've spoken too calls it the Rancherias loop.
It took us roughly an hour from Javelin Pens to Guale Mesa Road.  We were going slow and enjoying the views.
We took a right on Guale Mesa and intersected the Oso Loop. Both will take you to the main road and you can circle back to Sauceda and down to your camp.  I'd say the whole trip from start to finish wouldn't be longer than 3 hours unless you stop and hike, sight see, etc.

I think you could make it to the Solitario  and back in a little over half a day, maybe 4 hours. Add extra time to explore a few places in your Taco:
Nowhere, the Uranium Mine and the Magnesium Mine.
Nowhere is a nice single vehicle trail UP from Tres Papalotes to... well, Nowhere.  There is a sign there where you can take a photo or two to prove you've been nowhere.

Have lots of fun!  I wish I could go back right now.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:15:18 PM by BlindWilly »
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline beagle001

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:51:25 PM »
Great! Thanks for the input guys!

BlindWilly, thank you for taking the time to provide all of that info/video/etc. That's more than enough to keep me researching and I'm sure we'll use your suggestion! Very much appreciated. And cool website too! :great:

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »
Great! Thanks for the input guys!

BlindWilly, thank you for taking the time to provide all of that info/video/etc. That's more than enough to keep me researching and I'm sure we'll use your suggestion! Very much appreciated. And cool website too! :great:
You are absolutely welcome.
If you are on Facebook and like camping and exploring, look up Texas Overland on there.
In the files section they have all sorts of trails and backroads to explore in Texas.
I'm attaching a .KZM file that you can open up in Google Earth.  It will help you explore around the park.
Google Earth won't work without a cell or wifi on your tablet, but you can explore on your device at home.
This file was set up by a friend of mine to explore in and around the area.  I have more at home I'll have to find of my trips out there.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
Of course 5 minutes after I sent the last one, I found the trails I created on my last trip.
This is the main roads along with the Solitario and the "Javelin Trail" / Rancherias Loop.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

Offline beagle001

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 06:41:57 PM »
Thanks BlindWilly! Looking at the trails now! appreciate the help!!!

Offline beagle001

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 05:31:51 AM »
Just wanted to check in and thank everyone for the tips. We just got back a few days ago. The Ranch was amazing. Wish we could have had more time there. The girls at the desk at Sauceda talked us into staying out at Pila Motoya 3. Glad we listened. It was a perfect spot. Although we brought fire wood, someone had left a big stack as well. The view was gorgeous. Weather perfect. We ended up only doing small "offroad" travels. We took the Fesno Canyon route down to the cave paintings, had lunch and then turned around and headed back to camp. It's a 4x4 Tacoma but I don't have the most confidence in our older tires.

Very quiet nights. Cool mornings. We are in love with it!

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
Glad it was a success!  If you have any photos or videos, feel free to share them.
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!