Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Water Report ?

• 5 Replies

Offline TomJ

• Jack Rabbit
Water Report ?
« on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:41 PM »
A buddy and I are set to visit the park next week, planning a four day backpack trip starting at West Contrabando. What's the water situation in Fresno Creek?

-=TomJ=-

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
Re: Water Report ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
The status is good, but seasonal pools are pretty much all gone, leaving perennial flows along at multiple locations along Fresno Creek including the Narrows and Fresno Cascades, as well as Banos de Madrid. Make sure and filter all water as there is amble burro sign at waterholes.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline TomJ

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:25 AM »
"burro sign" <-- gee, I wonder what that might be???  :icon_lol:

We haven't made the final decision between State and National Parks. I've backpacked them both many times and really enjoy prefer the Ranch, but my new hiking buddy has never been to the Big Bend. I'm leaving the final choice up to him.

Thanks, Ranger Tim - your input really helps!

-=Tom=-

Offline jaymenna78734

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »
Ranger Tim.

Im a week behind you.   If you do do the Rancherias Loop, kindly post a water report when you get back!

Offline TomJ

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »
Sorry, not doing the Rancherias Loop again. Done it 4.5 times already, and it's a terrific hike! Last trip was 5 years ago, so my water report is definitely not up to date.

With that qualification, I've always found plenty of water at Casa Reza and Rancherias Spring. The seep spring in Acebuches Canyon always had a little water, too, but it's kind of iffy with lots of vegetable matter and bees. Last time thru, we collected two quarts from the seep spring before the filter clogged. BTW my last two loops, we started from Rancherias West trailhead going clockwise. There's just one big climb, then mostly level all the way to Rancherias Spring. Whereas going counter-clockwise, there's several big climbs before you get to Casa Reza. Seems easier to do it clockwise...YMMV... have a great hike!!!
-=TomJ=-

Offline TomJ

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »
Water situation as of Friday, 2/9/18:

Madrid - creek flowing perhaps 2 GPM below house.

Fresno Cascades - flowing maybe 1 GPM. But Ranger Tim was right: too much burro crap - we weren't that desperate!

Crawford-Smith - the pipe was not flowing. However, the tiny creek a couple of yards north was flowing maybe 1 GPM. Plenty of burro crap down low, so we followed the creek up the hillside until the tangled brush blocked the critters, and collected our water there.

-=TomJ=-
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:18:55 PM by TomJ »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!