Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

weather

• 8 Replies

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
weather
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:08:51 PM »
I realize it is an isolated area and I also know weather can change in a matter of minutes, but where do you go to get accurate weather for BBRSP?

I have been monitoring weather.com and wunderground.com.  Both sites will let you enter BBRSP.  I've also entered Presidio and Terlingua.  There seems to be a lot of difference.

Does anyone know what city television stations cover the area?  I'd like to go to there site and see what the actual meteorologist is predicting.

We are heading to BBRSP Saturday, which looks to be brutally cold and possibly wet and windy. 

Offline Raoul Duke

• Coyote
Re: weather
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
I have found the normal sites, such as Weather.com and wunderground.com, to be fairly accurate for predicting the weather in the Park.  There is also the NWS site, http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=TXZ081, which covers the entire Big Bend region.

The problem with relying on general forecasts is that temperatures and conditions can vary widely from different locations within the region.  So, you have to adjust the expected temperatures depending on whether you will be low in the desert or high in the mountains.  Generally, daytime temps will be warmer the lower you go and colder the higher you go.  On clear, still winter nights, it's often colder near the River than it is in the Basin.  On the other hand, when a winter storm passes through, the nights will generally be colder up high as compared to lower elevations.

About the nearest "city" with a television station would be El Paso or Midland/Odessa, but both of these places are too far away to offer an accurate prediction of the weather in Big Bend.
"Getting bored with your neurosis?  Drop you analyst--drop him/her like a cold potato--and make tracks for the nearest river." -Edward Abbey

Online mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
I use the NWS pin point forecasts.  This one is for Sauceda ranch house.  I find them the most accurate.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=29.46411186556551&lon=-103.95366668701172#.Uo0lq8Q73Ec
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 03:39:29 PM »
I'm not liking these weather sites you guys are giving me.  I want one that will show daytime highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's maybe.  Not these high 20's!!   Ha ha

It will definitely be an experience.

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:14:46 PM »
Try Presidio.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:24:54 PM by Reece »

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
that's a brutal forecast

Offline dillomaster

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »
Wow.  Looks cold!  Snow would be a special treat!

Watch out for rain as well.  The road into the park is subject to flash flooding and washouts.  On one occasion we had to wait for the water to go down to get out of the park.  And that is the "good" road - the 4x4 and unmaintained roads can become impassible with just a little rain - the whole area is prone to flash flooding.

Stay high and dry and have a great time!  The best adventures are born from adversity.

joetrussell

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »
The best adventures are born from adversity.

That does not sound true but it is. Overcoming adversity brings an extra feeling of accomplishment .... once it is overcome. Going through the adversity part can be a pain but there is an extra sense of achievement when it is all said and done, of course sitting in a tent when it is 28 degrees, the rain is freezing and the wind is howling can make you rethink your decision making process but at that point it is too late.

I plan on going to Big Bend over Thanksgiving and hiking out past Mule Ears for a couple of days. Right now NOAA gives a forecast up to Wednesday of next week. They have it at lows in the mid 30's and highs near 60. That is good weather for the desert, hope it holds through all of next week.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:48 AM »
Right now the worst days look to be Sat and Sun.  I'm thinking a bad day in BBRSP should beat a good day sitting around at home.

Sat is our driving day so we'll only really have to deal with the weather while setting up camp. Hopefully Sunday will be clear enough for us to do a little exploring.  Monday is looking ok.

We appreciate the flood warnings, we have LaPosta reserved but will ask the Rangers when we arrive if we need to move a higher ground camp site.  We will be in a truck but only 2WD so we plan to stick to safe, high ground roads.

1 day, 20 hours!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!