Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Leaving your camp during day

• 7 Replies

Offline nyj

• Jack Rabbit
Leaving your camp during day
« on: April 18, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »
Has anyone had any issues with leaving their stuff at camp during the days? Plan to set up camp and be gone during the days for most of the week Iím there.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Leaving your camp during day
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 10:19:43 AM »
Campground camp, roadside camp, or backcountry hiking/rafting camp?
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline nyj

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »

Primitive roadside, probably off Glenn springs

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 11:22:24 AM »

Primitive roadside, probably off Glenn springs

Probably OK, but not entirely risk-free. There have been some tent and/or vehicle break-ins in sites close to the river. I've backpacked back in that part of the park, and rafted the entire river from one end of the park to the other without any problems of all. But a (very) few others have had problems. I probably wouldn't leave any small, easily-carried, and extremely valuable items in your camp while you're gone during the day. Other things like tent, sleeping bag, messkit are probably OK, though very occasionally even those have been taken.

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 01:32:48 PM »
The other concern would be the javalina, if you've cooked in or near  your tent in the past the javalina could be attracted.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 01:54:30 PM »
The other concern would be the javalina, if you've cooked in or near  your tent in the past the javalina could be attracted.

That's a good point, Jim. Critters are a whole 'nother thing to consider: Javelina, bear, skunk, rodents. They can create all sorts of problems - though most (except javelina) will probably only be nocturnally-active.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:57 PM »
Just as an FYI, you can store your food/smellables in the bear lockers. I wouldn't worry about leaving food items or tent behind at camp.

At all campsites: All food, water, food products, food trash, unclean cooking utensils and other aromatic items MUST be stored in a hard-sided vehicle, or in the provided bear resistant storage locker. Bear lockers are provided at all Chisos backpacking sites and primitive roadside sites.

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 07:34:14 AM »
Primitive sites - I leave my tent/bedroll/chair.  I always throw my cooler and duffle in the truck.  So if I want to pull over and make lunch, load something to go hike a trail or in case I drink one beer to many in Terlingua and decide not to drive back to my camp.

On my last trip we stayed in the Basin campground and slept on the ground.  We left for a day's adventure and having no tents decided to leave our 2 camp chairs so people would know the site was still occupied.  We came back that evening to find our 2 camp chairs folded up and placed in the camp next to ours.  Maybe they thought we had left and forgot them??? 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!