Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Parking for a Zone Camping Trip

• 1 Replies

Offline bam.bam

• Coyote
Parking for a Zone Camping Trip
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »
I will be headed to Big Bend  with Niece ,  her husband and two girls  (4 &6).   (Their first time In BB)
I don't even want to think about being lucky enough to get a primitive campsite no matter how early we get their.
The question I have is can a Zone (Wilderness) Camper Permit  with two vehicles utilize a larger  primitive site for parking.  K-Bar 1 would be to small but sites like K-Bar 2 ,  Croton Springs,  Robbers Roost for example  would accommodate  2 extra vehicles with discretion where being parked (I.e out of their way and as far back as possible, not blocking known sought after views, etc. 
Any knowledge of this would be greatly appreciated. And I would guess trail heads would be fair game for parking and I think some primitive spots are "trailheads".... thanks in advance for any ideas also...

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Parking for a Zone Camping Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:53:12 AM »
The question I have is can a Zone (Wilderness) Camper Permit  with two vehicles utilize a larger  primitive site for parking.  K-Bar 1 would be to small but sites like K-Bar 2 ,  Croton Springs,  Robbers Roost for example  would accommodate  2 extra vehicles with discretion where being parked (I.e out of their way and as far back as possible, not blocking known sought after views, etc. 

You will have to park along roads or in other parking lots (like Sotol Vista, and other such places where no camping is permitted).

The NPS is absolutely inflexible about more vehicles (and people) in any backcountry campsite than they deem acceptable (see the limits in the nearly invisible compendium).

However, Croton Spring is both a campsite and a trailhead, where camping and trail parking are separated by some indistinguishable line in the dirt. There, the area for two campsites and trail parking comprises less than a fifth of an acre and that line apparently is at the discretion of whomever you happen to be dealing with.

Croton is the only such combination site situation in the park that comes to mind at the moment. So, you'd be wise to confirm that you can leave a vehicle parked there for zone camping.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!