Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

What exactly is zone camping?

• 18 Replies

Offline happyhiker39

• Roadrunner
« on: February 07, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »
I'm guessing it's the same thing as car camping. You drive out to a spot and camp right? I am guessing the roads are tricky out there for zone camping? I'm so new to all this and apologize in advance if I'm asking dumb questions. :)

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »
The backcountry areas of the park are divided into zones.  There are quotas on how many campers can occupy a zone at one time to preserve the fragile areas and ensure privacy.

Here is more info and a map of zones:
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/bc-zone_camping.htm
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: What exactly is zone camping?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »
Quote from: "happyhiker39"
I'm guessing it's the same thing as car camping. You drive out to a spot and camp right? I am guessing the roads are tricky out there for zone camping? I'm so new to all this and apologize in advance if I'm asking dumb questions. :)

no, no car camping.  you have to hike/backpack out to the 'zone' you have signed up for at PJ....i believe there are a maximum of 2 parties of 5 per zone?? not sure, the link randell provide will help

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
Group size is limited to 15. But this statement is confusing:
Within the backcountry, the group size limit is 15 people. Larger groups must split up and may not camp in adjacent zones.

Offline Picacho

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »
Last time I was in Big Bend there were people camping IN Homer Wilson's house.  Some people.

Offline McTullis

• Roadrunner
    • http://www.mctullis.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »
Sorry..we were afraid of the javelinas. Looked like a safe place to be.

Ya'll haven't lived til you've slept in a condensing pipe at the mariscal mine!

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 03:25:24 PM »
Quote from: "Picacho"
Last time I was in Big Bend there were people camping IN Homer Wilson's house.  Some people.

:o

Quote from: "McTullis"

:o  :shock:  :o

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 03:32:32 PM »
Quote from: "McTullis"

I'd be more afraid of mercury poisoning than any critter in the park  :D

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »
Quote from: "Robert"
Group size is limited to 15. But this statement is confusing:
Within the backcountry, the group size limit is 15 people. Larger groups must split up and may not camp in adjacent zones.

the way i figure it is that if you have 16 people, you can't divide up into 2 groups and get 2 permits for the same zone for 8 people. though they might bend on one person, or you could just accidentally miscount :lol:

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »
Quote from: "01ACRViper"

the way i figure it is that if you have 16 people, you can't divide up into 2 groups and get 2 permits for the same zone for 8 people. though they might bend on one person, or you could just accidentally miscount :lol:

Well I agree that's what they are trying to say but the use of "adjacent zones" is confusing. If anything should be that you can't be in the same zone.

Offline okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
Zone camping etc.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:33:54 PM »
There are four main types of camping in Big Bend (excluding illegal and RV)

1. Developed campgrounds.  These are Rio Grande Village, Chisos Basin and Cottonwood.  They include 191 individual and 11 group sites.  Most are first come first served but some are available by advance reservation.

2.  Roadside sites.  There are 72 roadside sites scattered throughout the park.  Each will acommodate 2 to 10 people.  These are primitive sites, often accessed only by rough roads.

3.  Designated backcountry campsites.  In the high Chisos backpackers must camp at designated sites in order to prevent overcrowding and resource damage in sensitive areas.  

4. Zone camping.  This also is backpacking camping.  You must camp at least 1/2 mile from AND be out of sight of any road so it is not car camping .  Zones accommodate 10 to 60 people.  Maximum group size for a backpacking party is 15 people.  EVEN IF the zone will take 60.  The NO ADJACENT ZONES rule is made for groups like the Boy Scouts who might come with 25 kids.  They tend then to get 2 permits and camp "on the edge" of adjacent zones... and voila... you have one group that is too large.  This is a no no.  :)

The rules are fairly simple once you understand them.  All permits except a few of the developed campgrounds are first come first served and available not more than 24 hours in advance of use.

I hope this helps.
Funny... I have a story about that...

Offline happyhiker39

• Roadrunner
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »
Thanks everyone! You have been a tremendous help :D.  I liked getting all the descriptions of the different type of camping in the park.

Offline xseption

• Do it in Big Bend!
  • Black Bear
  • BiBe is the BEST!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 03:16:28 PM »

2.  Roadside sites.  There are 72 roadside sites scattered throughout the park.  Each will acommodate 2 to 10 people.  These are primitive sites, often accessed only by rough roads.

Can you give me an example of a roadside site? Would that be like Pine Canyon?

thanks!

~ edd
Be the kind of person that you will want to meet!

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 03:21:10 PM »

2.  Roadside sites.  There are 72 roadside sites scattered throughout the park.  Each will acommodate 2 to 10 people.  These are primitive sites, often accessed only by rough roads.

Can you give me an example of a roadside site? Would that be like Pine Canyon?

thanks!

~ edd

https://cms.imr.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/roadsidecamps.htm
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline xseption

• Do it in Big Bend!
  • Black Bear
  • BiBe is the BEST!
Be the kind of person that you will want to meet!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!