Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Black Gap Wildlife Management Area

• 8 Replies

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Black Gap Wildlife Management Area
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:49:03 AM »
Drove FM 2627 from US 381 just north of BBNP all the way to the Rio Grande last week.  Right after the Stillwell camping site, the road goes right through the Black Gap Wildlife Management Area.  Since I have seen very little about this area on BBC, I thought I'd pass along what I learned about it during our brief visit.

First, the area is managed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (not federal, although a sign indicates that the feds are doing research in the area).  The headquarters is roughly halfway through the area, maybe 10 miles from Stillwell.  A passenger car can easily make it to the HQ, but don't expect to find a Visitors Center type of place.  What is there (among other buildings) is a self-registration booth where you can sign up for one of the many camp sites in the area.  Yes, there are camp sites located throughout the Area, only two of which are accessible by a regular car (both of these are in the HQ complex).  All the rest require high clearance, four wheel drive to reach.  Or so we were told.

I didn't count them all, but there must be at least 25 camping sites available.  Based on the sign up sheet while we were there, on any give day very few if any are actually taken.   

But that could be different when a hunting season is in effect because the Area does allow hunting.  At least for deer and pronghorn antelope, maybe more (Bighorn sheep, possibly).  I do not know when the hunting seasons are.

The area is beautiful, especially south of the HQ.  Many dark ridges and canyons. Not mountains exactly, but close enough.  Not seemingly as rugged as BB Ranch, but rugged enough.  No formal hiking trails but I think you are free to roam wherever you want from your campsite, except maybe when hunting is allowed.

In order to use one of the camp sites, you have to first have either an annual hunting license ($48) or a special limited use permit ($12).  Plus a fishing license if you want to pursue that activity.  Texas State Park passes do not work.  You can get one of the allowable permits from 1-800-895-4248 and (I'm assuming) via the PWD web site and probably wherever hunting licenses are sold (we ran into somebody and he said he got his at "the TruValu Hardware store in Alpine, the one that has all the guns and ammunition".  They do not sell the permits at the HQ so you have to get it ahead of time.  The unmanned self-registration room contains a sign up sheet as well as maps which show where each site is located and what road to take to get there.  The two sites near the HQ had tables and covers; I'd be surprised if the more remote sites have either, but they might.

If all you want to do is day hike and not camp, I assume that one of the permits is still required.

We drove all the way to the river where I was surprised to find that La Linda is in Mexico, not the US.  There is a bridge across the river but it is closed.  On the US side there is zero--just a single ranch house.  No services at all.  My understanding is that the guy who lives in the ranch house has the key to the gate that allows access for canoists and rafters to and from the Rio Grande.  Although there are a good number of buildings across the river in La Linda, I think very few of them are actually occupied.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Black Gap Wildlife Management Area
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:55:19 AM »
Richard--You probably should move this to the Black Gap page.  I posted this here without really looking.   :icon_redface:
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
The only hunts at Black Gap this year are for Mule or White-tailed deer. They take place on Dec 08, 2014 Dec 11, 2014. Only 4 individual permits were issued.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline jim2

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I've been curious about this place.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
We drove all the way to the river where I was surprised to find that La Linda is in Mexico, not the US.  There is a bridge across the river but it is closed.
Yes, the end of FM 2627 across from La Linda is a lonely place indeed. My late father-in-law worked over there when he was with Dow Chemical long ago. He told of being flown in there and landing on the airstrip on the US side, going uphill with a hump in the middle.

Offline P-T Boundry Hiker

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:54:05 PM »
Flash,
It has been sometime ago but was your farther-in-law Andy Kurie?  He managed (?) or worked at the fluorspar mine in La Linda and ran the "resort" at the end of 2627. Had the pleasure of meeting him several times.  Like I said, it was some time ago but they were good memories indeed.  Guess I am showing my age.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »
Flash,
It has been sometime ago but was your farther-in-law Andy Kurie?  He managed (?) or worked at the fluorspar mine in La Linda and ran the "resort" at the end of 2627. Had the pleasure of meeting him several times.  Like I said, it was some time ago but they were good memories indeed.  Guess I am showing my age.
No, no, Andy Kurie is not my father-in-law and I have never met the man. Two different people, however both were former Dow employees.

Offline fullmetaljacket6793

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:21:25 PM »
Ill be heading out in July to scout it out so i will update what i find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Coyote
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
Ill be heading out in July to scout it out so i will update what i find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
Any updates?
I'm wanting to camp out here and explore a few days this year.
I'm working on an itinerary that would include here a few days, then scoot over to the State Park and hit Casa Ramon up in the NW side.  (or vice versa)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!