Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Spring Break

• 34 Replies

SHANEA

Re: Spring Break
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »
THANKS  #9 is AWESOME camp site.  Been there, done that, would do it again.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »
Looks like Stillwell's plans to be full. I hope the 250 students camp there and not down in Black gap. I've been using google maps to find the sites. Some are kind of hard to find....
http://stillwellstore.com/2015/01/27/2015-started-off-cold/

They will not be full.  I stayed at Stillwells spring break two years ago with my two boys and the geology students were there.  I thought they were full after seeing the buses and packed camp area, but went in to ask.  They had put the geology students in a giant group camp, but their single sites were wide open.  They told me they never fill up.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:44 AM »
Thanks for the information on Stillwell's.
I don't plan to camp there but its nice to know. I'm going to stay 4 nights in Black Gap, then drive down to Seminole Canyon for a night, then lake Amistad for a night. I've never seen any of that stuff.

I haven't completely decided which campsites I'll stay at while in Black Gap. Several look great from space ;-)
I also got the topos for the area. Helluva deal on usgs. Free downloads and then Fedex Office printed five 12X18 maps for $7.50. I've already added the sites to the maps. Now to pack...
Scott

Offline TexasTLC

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 06:49:43 PM »
Thanks for the information on Stillwell's.
I don't plan to camp there but its nice to know. I'm going to stay 4 nights in Black Gap, then drive down to Seminole Canyon for a night, then lake Amistad for a night. I've never seen any of that stuff.

I haven't completely decided which campsites I'll stay at while in Black Gap. Several look great from space ;-)
I also got the topos for the area. Helluva deal on usgs. Free downloads and then Fedex Office printed five 12X18 maps for $7.50. I've already added the sites to the maps. Now to pack...
How was your trip?  Do you have any information to share? :)

I'm leaving Houston Saturday morning to head to Big Bend and have really been wanting to spend a day exploring in BGWMA.   I'm waiting for the office to call me back about how to secure a limited use permit in advance, if possible.  Two other vehicles from my off-roading group will be there on Tuesday to go with me.

I'd like to travel on some of the more remote roads if they're open to the public but want to be out by dark because we've got some other folks arriving that evening that I want to be back at camp for (using Rancho Topanga as base camp).  We've all got high clearance, 4WD, armored rigs so we don't have to limit ourselves based on road condition (within reason of course) - but, our goal is mainly to see some new, beautiful views and scenery and hopefully be lucky enough to view and photograph some of the wildlife out there.  Before I found this thread, I spent WAY too much time today doing Google Satellite view reconnaissance ;) and adding waypoints to my Big Bend area map.  I found some spots where (what looks like) a road goes alongside some canyon walls and possible some cave areas.  I've created breadcrumb waypoints to help myself find the exit from each area of interest.  But, now, I'm not even sure if those are accessible.  I compared them to the map posted in this thread and most of the spots I found are further (NE) away from the main road and camping spots.  I heard that there are hundreds of miles of "Jeep roads" - does anyone know if those are still accessible?  If not, can anyone recommend areas for good scenery and higher potential for wildlife viewing?  Thank you! :)

Offline BlindWilly

• Overlander
  • Diamondback
  • Exploring the world, from Texas.
    • TXpedition Offroad & Overland
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
I heard that there are hundreds of miles of "Jeep roads" - does anyone know if those are still accessible?  If not, can anyone recommend areas for good scenery and higher potential for wildlife viewing?  Thank you! :)
I think you're FJ can handle those "Jeep Roads"   :great:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:52:20 PM by RichardM »
"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bonzai

www.txpedition.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!