Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

2010 Calendar Nominations

• 76 Replies

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
Re: 2010 Calendar Nominations
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »
A few more...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:58:38 PM by RichardM »
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline bjbriggs

• Diamondback
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »
Its going to be hard to pick which photo's they are all so good :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 01:14:11 AM »
Probably not calendar worthy in quality but a great view.  Posted in support of an international park.

Al

PS Higher resolution scans are available.

Offline alcap

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
I need to join in !
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:04:57 PM by RichardM »
Alcap

Offline alcap

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »
I'd also like to nominate any of mtndocdanny's pics from his blog site. The pictures of his kids camping and on the trail are just to cool!
Alcap

Offline cjacob

• Diamondback
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
if only i had a really nice camera. :icon_evil:

Me too...... :icon_cry:

Be Very Careful what you wish for.  I wanted a DSLR to take amazing photos like these guys.  So since June 1st.

Camera            $500  Olympus E-520 with 14-42 lens
Lens MC Filter   $30
Extra Lens        $100   Craigs List 40-150 Stock Lens
Lens MC Filter   $30
Extra Battery    $60
New Extra         $60     Lost the 1st extra battery  on a boat in San Deigo
New Neck Strap $30
New Filter         $30     Dropped Camera out of car it was the only thing that broke
Tripod              $200   Just a started with Ballhead
Filter                $50    Wanted a Polerized filter for my next trip to Big Bend

Wish List to be bought in the next four weeks.
An adope photoshop the full version.  $1000
HDR Software $100

I really do not know what I am doing
And a wired remote so I can do bracking/Bulb exposure with out touching the camera. $45
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:50:36 PM by cjacob »

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:15:33 AM by tjavery »

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 09:22:08 AM »
First- the Burn Ban said "if only i had a really nice camera" :eusa_doh: I can't let this go without saying something. Having a really nice camera is... well... nice... but not necessary. A huge piece of what makes up a great image isn't the gear, it's the composition (lighting is a huge deal. No amount of photoshop work can make up for bad lighting). A Canon Powershot G10 is 14mp and just a step up from a point and shoot. In the hands of someone with a good idea of what makes a great image or even someone in the right place at the right time, a masterpiece can be created. I use that camera as an example because it's small, light, and you can take control of it (put it in manual). If manual isn't your thing, there are a myriad of good little point and shoots out there that will let you create wonderful images. It's not the equipment folks. I say that with some expertise as I own more gear than I can remember that I have. Even with one of the best DSLR's on the market I can take a bad image. It shoots at about 4 fps so I can even take consecutive bad images  :icon_lol: Such is technology.

Save your money on HDR software. Photoshop CS4 (3 too I believe) has it built in and it works fairly well. There are also many tutorials out there for how to use the various blend modes to create an HDR image. HDR is as much about technique as anything else.

If you can qualify or you know someone that can qualify you save a lot of money on CS4 by buying as a student.

Be Very Careful what you wish for.  I wanted a DSLR to take amazing photos like these guys.  So since June 1st.

Lens MC Filter   $30
Lens MC Filter   $30
Extra Battery    $60
New Neck Strap $30
New Filter         $30     Dropped Camera out of car it was the only thing that broke
Filter                $50    Wanted a Polerized filter for my next trip to Big Bend

An adope photoshop the full version.  $1000
HDR Software $100

And a wired remote so I can do bracking/Bulb exposure with out touching the camera. $45
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:24:34 AM by iCe »

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
Quote from: iCe date=1250518928
First- the Burn Ban said "if only i had a really nice camera" :eusa_doh: I can't let this go without saying something. Having a really nice camera is... well... nice... but not necessary. A huge piece of what makes up a great image isn't the gear, it's the composition (lighting is a huge deal. No amount of photoshop work can make up for bad lighting). A Canon Powershot G10 is 14mp and just a step up from a point and shoot. In the hands of someone with a good idea of what makes a great image or even someone in the right place at the right time, a masterpiece can be created. I use that camera as an example because it's small, light, and you can take control of it (put it in manual). If manual isn't your thing, there are a myriad of good little point and shoots out there that will let you create wonderful images. It's not the equipment folks. I say that with some expertise as I own more gear than I can remember that I have. Even with one of the best DSLR's on the market I can take a bad image. It shoots at about 4 fps so I can even take consecutive bad images  :icon_lol: Such is technology.

Save your money on HDR software. Photoshop CS4 (3 too I believe) has it built in and it works fairly well. There are also many tutorials out there for how to use the various blend modes to create an HDR image. HDR is as much about technique as anything else.

If you can qualify or you know someone that can qualify you save a lot of money on CS4 by buying as a student.

Quote from: cjacob date=1250279254
Quote from: homerboy2u date=1250093246
Quote from: Burn Ban date=1250088035

Lens MC Filter   $30
Lens MC Filter   $30
Extra Battery    $60
New Neck Strap $30

An adope photoshop the full version.  $1000
HDR Software $100

iCe of course you are correct but just to let you in on the joke, this is a recurring theme and one of tjavery's pet peeves. I do believe that Burn Ban was trying to get his goat and of course he did not rise to the bait (this time).  :rolling:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:06:33 PM by RichardM »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »
Right on. The "nice camera" thing has turned into an inside joke around here :icon_lol: Now, it's just funny. Makes me laugh.

And Burn Ban's title should really say "Mr. Sarcasm" :icon_biggrin:

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »
Right on. The "nice camera" thing has turned into an inside joke around here :icon_lol: Now, it's just funny. Makes me laugh.

And Burn Ban's title should really say "Mr. Sarcasm" :icon_biggrin:

:icon_lol: Ah... that's what I get for staying away so long.

I'm planning to make BBNP a habit this fall... I was there last week... Hopefully I'll be there some time this week... etc, etc...  :icon_smile: One of these days I want to go there for real though. So far all I get is a day here and a day there.

On topic- There are some really nice shots in this thread. No surprise there. It's a "nice" park  :icon_eek: :rolling:

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
On topic- There are some really nice shots in this thread. No surprise there. It's a "nice" park  :icon_eek: :rolling:

There ya go... you're fitting right in now :icon_lol:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
I'm planning to make BBNP a habit this fall... I was there last week... Hopefully I'll be there some time this week... etc, etc...  :icon_smile: One of these days I want to go there for real though. So far all I get is a day here and a day there.
So we can expect a trip report soon, with lots of pictures? For Homero, of course.
As long as we're keeping running jokes going...

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 02:37:42 PM »
I put a few images from last week in the photo section but I haven't had time to do a full on trip report  :icon_smile:

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 02:49:08 PM »
Probably not calendar worthy in quality but a great view.

Al

PS Higher resolution scans are available.
I guess the voters can decide if it's calendar worthy, I have already decided that a higher resolution scan is Gallery
worthy if you would be so kind Al {please?}. I think it should go in the "Big Bend National Park Pictures" area and a moderator can move it
if they disagree. (since it's not actually taken in the park, although maybe someday it will qualify as having been taken in the international park :eusa_pray:)

Posted in support of an international park.
Classy thought AL, Thanks :eusa_clap:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:50:39 PM by fartymarty »
Fort Worth

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!