Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

2010 Calendar Nominations

• 76 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: 2010 Calendar Nominations
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »
I'll add one from the falls - but check it out in the Gallery at a larger size
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:43:05 AM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »
Probably not calendar worthy in quality but a great view.

Al

PS Higher resolution scans are available.
I guess the voters can decide if it's calendar worthy, I have already decided that a higher resolution scan is Gallery
worthy if you would be so kind Al {please?}. I think it should go in the "Big Bend National Park Pictures" area and a moderator can move it
if they disagree. (since it's not actually taken in the park, although maybe someday it will qualify as having been taken in the international park :eusa_pray:)

Posted in support of an international park.
Classy thought AL, Thanks :eusa_clap:

Good idea on at least adding it to the Gallery, although I'd say it should probably go in the Big Bend Regional Pictures, if only because we need more there. :icon_smile:

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 09:32:10 PM »
Richard I will have to debate you on this one.  Countless photos of El Pico have been posted as part of Big Bend Park including National Park Service publications that reference the del Carmens.  El Pico is a park icon even though it is across the river.  As another example, when I posted a shot of Boquillas in the "Where am I" thread no one questioned the appropriateness of that post because Boquillas is forever tied to the park and for all practical purposes was a part of the park for many decades, until the crossing was closed.

The only difference in that shot of El Pico and the countless El Pico shots that have been posted here and on other sites under Big Bend National Park, it where it was shot from.

Al

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:19 PM »
Richard I will have to debate you on this one.  Countless photos of El Pico have been posted as part of Big Bend Park including National Park Service publications that reference the del Carmens.  El Pico is a park icon even though it is across the river.  As another example, when I posted a shot of Boquillas in the "Where am I" thread no one questioned the appropriateness of that post because Boquillas is forever tied to the park and for all practical purposes was a part of the park for many decades, until the crossing was closed.

The only difference in that shot of El Pico and the countless El Pico shots that have been posted here and on other sites under Big Bend National Park, it where it was shot from.

Al
Well, if you're just looking for an argument, you'll have to wait until I'm in a worse mood.

Besides, we're  :offtopic:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:51:58 PM by RichardM »

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »
Got to admit that was a bit strong response PLUS shame on us!

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »
Whew!!!.... :willynilly:,we were talking about the Nominations for the upcoming calendar.

I will have to wait until we can,finally,call it an international park so i can get my artillery out and really start contributing something here.......Jesus!! :eusa_boohoo:

Moving right along...
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Big Bend Chat Votes on International Park
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 01:13:40 AM »
Richard, you might as well move this now.  Moderator note: Nah, too confusing....maybe later...

What would be the downside of this forum voting on whether or not Big Bend National Park and Boquillas/del Carmens/Maduras in Mexico has been and should continue to be an international park? (Probably could be worded better.)

Al
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:08:26 AM by RichardM »

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 08:26:43 AM »
I think you guys have taken this past the point of sanity. Debating on how to classify and compartmentalize a scenic photo is distracting from the photo itself. :icon_lol:

Here's the deal: last year, David decided (since it's his site and all) that only photos taken from within BiBe (i.e. photos taken by people actually standing within the park boundaries) would do for the calendar. He recognized that there are many other, wonderful photos from the surrounding areas, but made that decision just to keep the calendar on subject.

I don't know if he will do that again. It's his choice.

But, I think if we cough up enough quality "other" (i.e. outside the park) photos, then perhaps we could have two calendars: 1) strictly BiBe photos taken by BBC'ers, 2) any other photos taken by BBC'ers (e.g. a BBC "scenic America" calendar).

Or maybe we could just have one calendar of the Big Bend area that would include the park and everything else in a 100 mile radius? We can discuss this with David later.

Anyway, Al- thanks for posting that photo. It is definitely calendar worthy, just not sure which calendar it applies to yet :icon_lol:

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to cause that. Thanks Richard for not being in a worse mood, and thanks Al for
posting that pic in the Gallery, it's a beauty.

The picture ballot sure is going to be a long one this year. I'm glad we don't mail out paper ballots. :icon_smile:
Fort Worth

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Grrr.. hang on... I see my photosite still has some images watermarked... I can't seem to get the posted image to show up without a watermark. Maybe my website will update and it will clear up. Sorry about that...

I've got a few older ones plus a few new ones...

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:05:30 PM by iCe »

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 08:12:43 AM »
And another good one from iCe:

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »
Thanks TJ. I figured that had already overdone it so I didn't post anything (here) from my last day there. I liked that one too. If I had one complaint it would be that I only had a 2 stop graduated density filter and this image really needed at least a 3.

Offline alcap

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »
 Coupla more from my own self:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:38:26 AM by RichardM »
Alcap

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 01:32:04 AM »
No activity here for awhile, I hope there wasn't a deadline announced that I missed.
I would like to nominate this one by renjr53.

I think this one could strongly vie for the cover shot.
Fort Worth

Offline renjr53

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 08:02:09 AM »
No activity here for awhile, I hope there wasn't a deadline announced that I missed.
I would like to nominate this one by renjr53.
I think this one could strongly vie for the cover shot.

Thank you FM...I appreciate that.
Richard

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!