Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

A New Forum is coming soon!

• 8 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
A New Forum is coming soon!
« on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:05 AM »
Just to give you guys a heads up.... within the next couple of weeks or so, we'll be moving the forum to a more modern system.   

If you've been using the BBC app,  then you've used the system already.  Tapatalk will be the new platform across all devices,  including web based devices such as desktops.

This will dramatically change the way BBC works.   Although I'm hopeful there will be few hiccups,  we all know that early happens with something like this.

To prepare, it might be a good idea to save important bookmarks and personal messages just in case the migration loses something.

Tapatalk is promising me a smooth transition. So, I'm very hopeful it will be.

The purpose of this move is to shift the responsibility of spam control, security,  and updates to a third party.   This way, Richard and I can enjoy maintenance free participation on BBC, just like you do.   Moderation will still be necessary, but some of the more annoying technical problems that pop up every once in a while won't be our problem to solve any longer.

Second,  with the rapidly changing way we communicate online these days,  this new system should allow us to keep up with changing technologies without having to rebuild everything all the time.   It's a real pain to have to update and redesign the forum, make sure everything works,  etc.  (Hobbies aren't supposed to be a pain in the ass.)

Anyway,  I'll let y'all know as we approach the new forum going live.  Let me know if you have any questions.

David

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
Re: A New Forum is coming soon!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
Looking forward to it and let me once again take the time to say THANKS for such a great site.

The site is informative - self explanatory.

The site is therapeutic - It gives me a bit of a Big Bend fix when I'm not there.

The site is entertaining - See some of the posts adventures from guys like House Made of Dawn, Desert Rat Shorty, Mule Ears and countless others.

The site is educational - Just this week I learned not only that Big Bend is home to elk, but I followed the link and learned about the history of Elk in Texas.

The site is habit forming - I check it daily, usually before I check email and social media sites.

Thanks Casa Grande and Richard for keeping it going.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »
I will echo Hang10er to thank you all for keeping the place running so smoothly.  I hope the change will not be difficult and that we don't lose any functionality.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 06:12:42 PM »
I would be curious to know how many/what kinds of moderation issues ya'll deal with.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 06:22:27 PM »
I would be curious to know how many/what kinds of moderation issues ya'll deal with.
Richard deals with nearly all of the moderation. He also deals with the fake registers and bans the problem IP addresses. He's very good at thwarting fake accounts.

I deal with paying the bills, building the interface, updating the software,  backing up the database,  and trying to figure out technical anomalies that pop up from time to time.  Also have to set up all the server settings and make sure all the countless number of server programs are updated regularly.   I hate doing it.  When I started this gig,  this is the sort of thing I did for a living.  I was an IT guy 15 years ago.  Not my gig anymore,  so I just as soon pay someone else to deal with all that mess.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline nuggetf5

• Golden Eagle
  • Roadrunner
  • Currently hiking around Lawrence, KS
    • Mandolin Cafe
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 09:58:51 PM »
Kudos to those doing this work. I've run a large music web site for my day job since 1995 and yadda, yadda, this is not about me. Running a large forum brings with it headaches most cannot fathom. Moving from one system to another is not for the feint of heart. This is the IT equivalent of walking the Dodson twice in one day. In June. When you get done you hope it doesn't happen again in a long time.

You all have my admiration and moral support in the move. This is an uncommonly good resource on the internet.
Mandolin Cafe
Since 1995

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 10:14:04 PM »
Looking forward to it and let me once again take the time to say THANKS for such a great site.

The site is informative - self explanatory.

The site is therapeutic - It gives me a bit of a Big Bend fix when I'm not there.

The site is entertaining - See some of the posts adventures from guys like House Made of Dawn, Desert Rat Shorty, Mule Ears and countless others.

The site is educational - Just this week I learned not only that Big Bend is home to elk, but I followed the link and learned about the history of Elk in Texas.

The site is habit forming - I check it daily, usually before I check email and social media sites.

Thanks Casa Grande and Richard for keeping it going.

Well said, I second (or third) it.

Offline Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:40:38 AM »
Agreed to all the above. You can not find a better Bend fix than here.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Imre

• Coyote
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »
You can not find a better Bend fix than here.
Aside from actually being there?   :eusa_think: Looking forward to the new design.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!