Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Amen

• 19 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: Amen
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 02:18:20 PM »
How about a nice little chapel in the mountains?
That's the beauty of it.  The mountains, the desert, the serenity, the communion with nature are the chapel.   I go to church every Sunday, however the pews, the organ, nor the pulpit make the chapel for me.

Sent from my pocket machine using Big Bend Chat mobile app

There is, no doubt, communion on the trail.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 03:37:31 PM »

Interestingly, the book of Psalms refers to nature as an entity that “speaks” to us as well.  So when we’re in places like the Bend maybe we’re not just observing natural beauty but actually having a conversation with it.

Yes! There is no doubt to me.

Sent from my pocket machine using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 08:49:23 PM »
Somebody went and built one in the desert.     

Chimneys Alcove 1 by House Made of Dawn, on Flickr

I've visited a couple of Amerind religious sites.  A buddy took me fishing on Lake Amistad and took me to one.  The view west at sundown had the sun disappearing into a canyon on the other side of the lake.  It would have been just as impressive without the lake.  I am of the opinion that the ancients had religious aesthetics that were just like ours.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »
Somebody went and built one in the desert.     

Chimneys Alcove 1 by House Made of Dawn, on Flickr

I've visited a couple of Amerind religious sites.  A buddy took me fishing on Lake Amistad and took me to one.  The view west at sundown had the sun disappearing into a canyon on the other side of the lake.  It would have been just as impressive without the lake.  I am of the opinion that the ancients had religious aesthetics that were just like ours.

:great:   But with less distractions.  I guess it's a mixed blessing, but I envy them sometimes.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 05:23:18 AM »
Agreed House. The Bend is where I go to see God. He's there, waiting everytime I go. I like sitting in the mornings watching the sun rise as we speak.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!