Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

New look?

• 56 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: New look?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2008, 02:04:14 PM »
The threads seem to be missing the hyperlinks "Go to top" and "Go to bottom", that were on the old look. These were handy.

it is actually still there, I just need to change the color of the link....sorry, my mistake!  I'll change it later today!

thanks,
david

Thank you kind sir
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2008, 03:46:40 PM »
The threads seem to be missing the hyperlinks "Go to top" and "Go to bottom", that were on the old look. These were handy.

it is actually still there, I just need to change the color of the link....sorry, my mistake!  I'll change it later today!

thanks,
david

Thank you kind sir

you're welcome, done.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2008, 04:10:53 PM »
is there any way to fix things like BadKnees' latest trip report so we don't have to scroll horizontally to see the entire pics?

just curious...

see http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/your-trip-reports/trip-nov-2126th-t7074.0.html;msg67429

no, the website is designed for the avg computer screen. Not all screens can see wide images, so there has to be a line drawn somewhere.  Also, Golden Eagle subscribers get a wider view of the threads since they do not see ads.  Unfortunately, it is an impossible task to make everyone see the same because of the variety of monitors on the market.

ok, as a workaround to this problem, I have modified the board to automatically resize any image that is embedded into a post so as to eliminate the horizontal scroll bars.  To see the original, full size image, you simply click on the bar above the image.  Hope this helps.

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »
is there any way to fix things like BadKnees' latest trip report so we don't have to scroll horizontally to see the entire pics?

just curious...

see http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/your-trip-reports/trip-nov-2126th-t7074.0.html;msg67429

no, the website is designed for the avg computer screen. Not all screens can see wide images, so there has to be a line drawn somewhere.  Also, Golden Eagle subscribers get a wider view of the threads since they do not see ads.  Unfortunately, it is an impossible task to make everyone see the same because of the variety of monitors on the market.

ok, as a workaround to this problem, I have modified the board to automatically resize any image that is embedded into a post so as to eliminate the horizontal scroll bars.  To see the original, full size image, you simply click on the bar above the image.  Hope this helps.

Hey David.  First off, you do a fantastic job around here, so I hope this doesn't come across as niggling...

but...

now when I click on the bar at the top of a pic to see the full size, a horizontal scroll bar appears at the bottom of all the pics in that post, which will often entail several clicks down the page to grab the scroll bar, which then can't be manipulated while simultaneously looking at the pic in question (which is several clicks way back up the page).  Does my description make any sense?

Anyway, it would certainly be nice to access a larger rez in an easier fashion.  Seems that we used to be able to do this, either as a pop-up in another window or maybe some other method I'm forgetting about...

Anyway, having said all that...I'll now donate for the 1st time in a while & shut my trap!   :icon_biggrin:
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2008, 08:19:14 PM »

just curious...

Hey David.  First off, you do a fantastic job around here, so I hope this doesn't come across as niggling...

but...

now when I click on the bar at the top of a pic to see the full size, a horizontal scroll bar appears at the bottom of all the pics in that post, which will often entail several clicks down the page to grab the scroll bar, which then can't be manipulated while simultaneously looking at the pic in question (which is several clicks way back up the page).  Does my description make any sense?

Anyway, it would certainly be nice to access a larger rez in an easier fashion.  Seems that we used to be able to do this, either as a pop-up in another window or maybe some other method I'm forgetting about...

Anyway, having said all that...I'll now donate for the 1st time in a while & shut my trap!   :icon_biggrin:

try it now....this is about as best I can do.

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »

BINGO!  A nice pop-up approach...I like it!

Thanks.
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 10:01:01 PM »
Also, in the user 'profile' area 'show posts' will only display the first page, regardless of any other clicked on. The same issue affects viewing other members when clicking 'show the last posts of this person'.

Try this as a workaround (using my own profile as an example)...

Here's what I see when I go to "Show Posts":

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/profiles/trtlrock-u316.html;sa,showPosts

To see Page-2, add "; start=15" to the end like this:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/profiles/trtlrock-u316.html;sa,showPosts;start=15

Now you're on page-2. To get to the page-3, change the 15 to 30, etc.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:57:11 PM by RichardM »
John & Tess

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2008, 11:12:12 PM »
Also, in the user 'profile' area 'show posts' will only display the first page, regardless of any other clicked on. The same issue affects viewing other members when clicking 'show the last posts of this person'.

Try this as a workaround (using my own profile as an example)...

Here's what I see when I go to "Show Posts":

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/profiles/trtlrock-u316.html;sa,showPosts

To see Page-2, add "; start=15" to the end like this:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/profiles/trtlrock-u316.html;sa,showPosts;start=15

Now you're on page-2. To get to the page-3, change the 15 to 30, etc.

yep, this is actually an old problem that I have yet to resolve  :eusa_whistle:

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »
HEY CG, I love  :cool-thumb: what you've done to the place.  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap: Well done!

I do have one question: Since you started off with mostly blue and green, what colors
can you change it to in spring when the bluebonnets bloom?  :icon_lol: (I'm recalling the previous board format spring color change.)  :eusa_think:
Fort Worth

Offline Lorax

• Coyote
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »
As a newbe to this site, I must say that it works WAY better than a few others I participate in. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks
Ted

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 06:16:24 PM »
HEY CG, I love  :cool-thumb: what you've done to the place.  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap: Well done!

I do have one question: Since you started off with mostly blue and green, what colors
can you change it to in spring when the bluebonnets bloom?  :icon_lol: (I'm recalling the previous board format spring color change.)  :eusa_think:

hm,  good question...I'm not sure this will be available this year....I would even love it to be able to allow you to change to your own colors...the problem is, when I have to add cool tools to the site, make modifications to certain files, I would have to do it to more than just one file....make sense?

Anyway, it is possible to change colors for spring, summer, winter etc....but don't hold your breath  :icon_wink:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2008, 02:33:03 PM »
now when I click on the bar at the top of a pic to see the full size, a horizontal scroll bar appears at the bottom of all the pics in that post, which will often entail several clicks down the page to grab the scroll bar, which then can't be manipulated while simultaneously looking at the pic in question (which is several clicks way back up the page). Does my description make any sense?

Anyway, it would certainly be nice to access a larger rez in an easier fashion. Seems that we used to be able to do this, either as a pop-up in another window or maybe some other method I'm forgetting about...
A side effect seems to be that posts with resized images seem to have additional whitespace tacked on the end. Not extra blank lines, just extra space that can't be edited... :eusa_think:

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »
now when I click on the bar at the top of a pic to see the full size, a horizontal scroll bar appears at the bottom of all the pics in that post, which will often entail several clicks down the page to grab the scroll bar, which then can't be manipulated while simultaneously looking at the pic in question (which is several clicks way back up the page). Does my description make any sense?

Anyway, it would certainly be nice to access a larger rez in an easier fashion. Seems that we used to be able to do this, either as a pop-up in another window or maybe some other method I'm forgetting about...
A side effect seems to be that posts with resized images seem to have additional whitespace tacked on the end. Not extra blank lines, just extra space that can't be edited... :eusa_think:

not sure I understand

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 02:44:55 PM »

not sure I understand
For Ay Chi's latest trip report post, I see about six pages worth of blank space after his last image and before the "Last edit: ... by RichardM" line. My guess is it's allocating the height of the post based on the unresized image heights.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:53:50 PM by RichardM »

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »
For Ay Chi's latest trip report post, I see about six pages worth of blank space after his last image and before the "Last edit: ... by RichardM" line. My guess is it's allocating the height of the post based on the unresized image heights.

I don't see it in my firefox or my explorer  :eusa_think:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!