Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

New Moderator

• 20 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
New Moderator
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:27:22 PM »
Firstly, I want to thank all of you on the board.  You have really shown solidarity, friendship, generosity, and kindness towards Richard's family and your fellow board members.  We have all felt the pain of his loss and I, for one, have personally received great comfort with your words and actions.  I appreciate and respect all of you.

Obviously, Richard did a lot of things behind the scenes that I, frankly, took for granted.  One of the most important things he did very well was SPAM control.  He was a master at SPAM control. Even admonishing me once for being too loose with my approvals.  We receive probably four or five requests to join per day. Most of them are spammers.   We have to cross check their emails and and IP addresses with an online database to see if they're spammers. If they are, they have to be deleted and blocked.  Anyway, enough inside baseball. It's pretty boring, but necessary stuff.  So, I needed some help.

I won't call him by his real name, unless he wants to, but you all know him as Mule Ears.  ME contacted me pretty soon after Richard passed offering to help out.  I've known ME as long as I've known Richard. He's been around since the old bulletin board before BBC came along.  And, this dude is the real deal.  His experience traversing the Sierra Quemada and beyond is insane. He inspires me with his grit and fitness for the outdoors.  I have met him face to face a few times at Bender gatherings over the years and I can say he's a really nice and humble guy I can trust.  I really appreciate him stepping forward to fill some tough shoes.   Between Mule and myself, I think we can do this!

Mule Ears has full administration rights like I do.  Feel free to contact him or me or both of us for technical issues and we'll see if we can get it figured out between us. 

Thanks again, Mule!

David

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:18:47 PM by Casa Grande »

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
Re: New Moderator
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 12:27:11 AM »
 :eusa_clap: to you both.

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 02:44:48 AM »
Thanks to both of you. Richard will surely be missed. But this makes the wait between the Bend bearable.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:52:25 AM »
Is he starting at full pay and benefits or is there a probation period?

Offline alan in shreveport

• Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 06:59:23 AM »
Thats great news. Thanks for stepping up ME.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »

There are several daily self flagellations for being old and trying to figure out the computer software but the rewards are worth it.   :banghead:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:00:20 AM »
Yup.  He gets paid with as many headaches as he can stand, same as me. 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
Excellent choice!

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »
Thanks for volunteering, ME.  Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

You have big shoes to fill, but I have no doubt it will go well.  I think you should get a 15% raise above Richard's salary.  :icon_biggrin:

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:52:12 AM »
Thanks all, I will never be able to do what Richard could, I do have limited IT skills but I do know that forums like these don't run by themselves and that David is plenty busy already so I asked if he could use some help and he was generous in accepting during such a difficult time for him and all of us here.  I do have a little bit more time these days as we are slowly cutting down our farming operation and "trying" to semi-retire.

The forum software is deep and wide but there is a good online Manual and I am not afraid to poke around.  David is right, the biggest job is vetting new member applications as it is at least 3 to 2 spammer vs. real people, maybe even 4 to 1.  We are a pretty congenial group and 99.9% of the time there is no controversy to "moderate".  I also echo Davids words about  everyone's "solidarity, friendship, generosity, and kindness towards Richard's family and your fellow board members".

Alex (my name will disappear 30 seconds after you read it   ;))
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:57:28 PM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 02:39:50 PM »
Thank you David and Al...mule ears!
   Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »
Well done and congrats to Mule Ears! Really appreciate this site and how well it is run.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
Thanks for taking this on, Mule Ears. I know you'll do a great job. Even if you are only half as good as Richard, we'll be in good hands. 

Offline Mesquito

• Roadrunner
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
Iíll just take this opportunity to say thank you for all this.  This place is priceless.

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »
Glad to hear it.  I don't know Mule Ears in person (perhaps someday), but he possesses a wealth of knowledge and even more importantly, an eagerness to share it.  My wife and I still plan to hike the MV this winter as you recommended ME, with a trip report to follow.  God bless.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!