Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

TJ Avery

• 34 Replies

Offline jasonmerlo

• Roadrunner
Re: TJ Avery
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 03:21:47 PM »
May I suggest some kind of archive here for his photographs, at least for the best of them (assuming his family approves). I know of another very good photographer who passed away a few years ago and eventually his website was no longer functioning and his work was lost to everyone except his family who had the files or the film. I hated to see it happen.

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
 TJ was a kind soul and shared his gift with us and countless others.  We've lost another extraordinary light.  I'll be in the park next week and will toast our friend. 

Not much to say.  Except, although I've been absent for awhile, I love all y'all. 
It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 06:00:10 PM »
TJ was a wonderful and thoughtful man, a true artist and, in every imaginable sense, a friend of Big Bend. He will be missed.

I always loved the way the clouds posed so beautifully in his photos. I have for years, and will always, refer to those kinds of clouds, when I'm fortunate enough to see them with my own eyes, as "TJ Avery clouds."
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • Get busy living, or get busy dying.
    • US385
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 07:33:52 AM »
TJ was full of energy and enthusiasm. Each time I met him, particularly once when he had a photo portfolio with him, the glimmer in his eyes was one of sheer joy like when we were kids. To recapture that joy is difficult for most of us but I reckon it is there if we look hard enough for it in ourselves. Seeing it in others is what gave me hope and corresponding with TJ about starting new workshops out in the Bend was something I will never forget. All of us have the chance to cross paths over and over in this lifespan. May we all inspire the child inside to reawaken as we share these trails together.

Peace, TJ.
Time is fleeting, like a song. Bringing us to ourselves, bringing me to you.
And if you try, you can save her. Keeping her on your shelves, but soon you'll be there too.

Offline STARLITDARKNESS3

• Black Bear
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 04:44:17 PM »
I was saddened to hear about this.   TJ and Richard may you both trek thru the trails high above. 
"Are we there yet?"  ... by my Kids

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!