Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

1 Person Tent

• 26 Replies

Offline Medic

• Roadrunner
Re: 1 Person Tent
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 12:31:17 AM »
I have the one-person model. Has held up well in the wind, but I haven't had it out in the rain yet. It's a free-standing tent, which has come in handy in some of the places I camp.

Remember, folks, it's 100 miles to the closest hospital.

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 12:32:02 AM »

Yes they do Professor,you just have to subscribe to their weekly emails and then the Bargain cave offers will start to show on your email Inbox.

Medic...how well does your (XPG) tent holds up against the wind and water?.Also Cabelas shows three models,which one is yours?

Done Homero! Soon my in box will be filled with e-mails from Cabelas. :icon_eek:
Thanks for the tip!
Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »
I'm still a big fan of Big Agnes and their tents... The tent I carried most recently is a Seedhouse SL3, but Big Agnes makes a Seedhouse SL1 that has a packed weight of 2lb 13oz, and a Seedhouse SL2 that has a packed weight of 3lb 6oz.

The SL3 is a tad heavy compared to many other "solo backpacker" tents, but it also fit my whole pack inside and gave me room to sit up and get dressed, etc. They are a bit pricey in the retail world, but eBay seems to have these guys sell every now and then at about half of their retail price WITH extras such as the footprint, etc.

Setup is easy, takedown is painless, the thing fits back into its stuff sack without complaining, the free standing design allows you to pick it up and shake the grit out when you are breaking camp, and it offers a "fast fly setup" configuration so that if you do elect to go really superlight, you could in theory be down to a 1lb 12oz packed weight w/the sl1.
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 04:02:33 PM »
The Clip Flashlight 2 is only a few ounces more in weight, but offers a LOT more room.

My own preference is a 2 man tent which gives 1 man plenty of room plus room to store gear inside.

Funny you should mention the Clip. "One" of my backpacking tents is the Clip 3, which I use as a 2-man tent. It's a great tent with the only issue in BB is that we've camped in places where we had trouble staking it down.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »
I have the quarter dome T1 and I'm pretty happy with it.  On the plus side, it is free standing, you can sit up in it, packs small and light.  The only real negative is it is very narrow and there is very little room inside for gear.  It is a cozy little tent though and seems to be well made.  I've spent about 10 or 12 nights in it so far and it is a big improvement over the Eureka Solitaire.  The T2 looks like it would be a good tent as well for one person, with plenty of room inside for gear.  It is pricey though. 

...speaking of the Eureka Solitaire, I've had it for a couple years now and it has turned into a loaner tent since I picked up the Quarter Dome T1.  One thing I've found with that tent is it shrinks over time just enough to make it nearly impossible to get the poles in.  My brother really struggled with it on our last trip out to Big Bend.  It also requires something like 10 stakes to properly pitch, which can be a problem at Big Bend. 
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 10:27:21 PM »
Hi stingrey!
I hear you about the BA tents! If $ were no object, a Seedhouse SL2 would probably be my next purchase. I'm keeping an eye out and if I find a bargain on one in the next couple of months I'll probably buy it. Otherwise, I'll see what is available and reasonable in Feb and make a buy then.

Hi Robert!
What's the weight of the Clip3? Just curious.

Hi bdann!
I still have the Quarter Dome on my list of possibilities. Would definitely be a step up from the Solitaire. I hope to end up with a  tent that is free-standing and that has enough room to at least sit up in part way. A little extra room for gear would be nice too.

Interesting about the Solitaire shrinking...mine was tight right out of the box and I read a few reports of pole breaks when users were struggling to get the poles inserted. I found that making sure the inner pole end was completely inserted helped when getting the poles in place. If it wasn't all of the way in, there was no way that it would slide in the rest of the way. I think I used 4 or 6 stakes on the S Rim with my Solitaire but it wasn't too windy that night. I can see needing a bunch in some circumstances. For the money, it's not a bad tent/bivy. It's just that there are so many better options out there if one is willing to spend some money. Worth doing to be more comfortable, IMHO.
   Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing up is optional.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 09:32:03 AM »
What's the weight of the Clip3? Just curious.

Oops. Doesn't look like they make it anymore. I think it was around 5-6 lbs.

Offline walkingman06

• Coyote
    • Walkingman
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 09:54:07 AM »
I've used the Eureka Backcountry 1 http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23890
for the past 3 years and it's been great.  It is a three season tent, freestanding and sets up fast.  Downside is that it is nearly 4 pounds, but the comfort is worth it for me.  I got mine for under $100 at Campmor. I'll give it one more test next week on the OML.
Moving in silent desperation
Keeping an eye on the holy land
A hypothetical destination
Say, who is this walking man?
James Taylor
Posted from Tulsa, OK

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »
I think my serious, multi-day backpacking trips are in the past. Although....if I get back into backpacking a little more, maybe that will change....

Bill

I, too, do not like to be a mule.  However, you can have some great 2 or 3 day backpack trips and only have to lug all the stuff one day.  Plan out a place to camp (preferably near a water source) where you can day hike to other places, returning to your base camp each evening.  I have done this many times in Big Bend (e.g., Mesa de Anguila; Chimneys; Mule Ears) and southern Utah.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 10:25:45 PM »

Bill

I, too, do not like to be a mule.  However, you can have some great 2 or 3 day backpack trips and only have to lug all the stuff one day.  Plan out a place to camp (preferably near a water source) where you can day hike to other places, returning to your base camp each evening.  I have done this many times in Big Bend (e.g., Mesa de Anguila; Chimneys; Mule Ears) and southern Utah.

Hi catscats!
Yeah...that's the way I always did it back in the old days...loved to hike up into Chicago Basin in CO and spend 2-3 days hiking around that area. The trick is that there was plenty of water available all the way. I'm just now getting back into doing some backpacking and seem to be choosing places to camp without water. Maybe that's okay. Maybe I'll get more adventurous and do some multiday trips. We'll see what life brings!!
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing up is optional.

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 09:41:49 AM »
I just got my new solo tent in the mail yesterday.  It's the REI Chrysalis.  It's on sale at the REI Outlet website.  http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/766994  After an online coupon, couple extra dividends, and a gift card for my birthday from the inlaws, I paid the whole sum of $9 for it after tax and shipping!!  It was easy to set up and looks like it will be great.  All the reviews are absolutely positive.  Can't wait to take it out!!!!

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
Sounds good TAH!
The Chrysalis is on my list of possible tents. Price is right! Weight is a little more than I am shooting for. Let us know how it does in the field. I just might overlook the weight issue if it does well.
  Thanks!
    Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing up is optional.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!