Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

12V Microwave Oven!

• 54 Replies

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
12V Microwave Oven!
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:52:55 PM »
To go along with the gas powered blender, we now have a 12V microwave!!
http://tinyurl.com/c2gxos
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: 12V Microwave Oven!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:05:50 PM »
Any electrical experts out there who can tell me why you couldn't just use a regular microwave plugged into an inverter?

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:22:23 PM »
I don't know how big an inverter is required for a "regular" microwave but that unit would be GREAT for nuking potatoes while primitive camping, especially at altitude when the alternative is boiling!  I have a 400 watt, 800 watt peak load, inverter installed under the rear jump seat in the ol' F150.  I ran 8 gauge wire from the engine compartment to provide power to it (and the outboard amps in the sound system.)  Definitely more than a cigarette lighter inverter would be required. We used the heck out of the inverter the last trip to Big Bend to recharge multiple laptop and camera batteries all at the same time, but I ran the truck engine while in use in order to be sure the truck battery didn't run down.

Cabelas comes through again!  If only I could figure out how to keep TV dinners frozen long enough to take real advantage of . . .

Al

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:53:43 AM »
Al, sounds like you need a second 12v car battery with an isolator that will keep the main battery from running down in the truck.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »
I don't claim to be an electronic expert, but those inverters don't allow for a whole lot of amps.   Using a regular microwave with an inverter will likely blow a fuse.

Offline uh_clem

• Texas Banded Gecko
  • Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »
 I would guess that would run down a car battery pretty quickly.
I'll be the jump start for the car parked in your mind, 'Cause you left the lights on all night long.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:04:52 AM »
Al, sounds like you need a second 12v car battery with an isolator that will keep the main battery from running down in the truck.

It would but I don't use it enough to justify the expense.  The amount of gas required to idle the engine for 15 or 20 minutes is probably less than a quart.  We used the inverter to charge up our portable equipment while driving from one site to the other so I only had to idle the truck a total of maybe a hour over the week. So even at $4/gal it would take quite a few hours to justify the time and expense of a second battery and the required setup.  If I truck camped a lot it would be worth it.

If you read the review of the Cabelas microwave, it has a lower wattage than a regular microwave which is probably its main attribute that allows it to run off a car battery.

Al

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »
anywho.....what the heck?  A microwave?

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:56:06 AM »
If you were living off the grid or truck camped a lot it would be neat to have. 

Al

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »
I have always wanted to microwave popcorn inside of my truck,but couldn't...

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Peach

• Coyote
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »
All I can say is.....

:icon_rolleyes:

Seriously?  A portable microwave?

Offline Fred

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:49:31 PM »
Cool, I like that, but correct me if I am wrong, I thought running a generator in the park is a no-no....including using you car engine to power it.  I'm too lazy, but I think if you look it up you will find that they specifically prohibit the use of your car engine to generate power.

Some of the nicest things you could have, you cannot, inside the federally controlled part of Texas.  I think your only 3 options are to camp outside the park, use while driving around, or go solar....very expensive and bulky.

Many cars now come with inverters, but if I am correct, to use one while parked is not allowed. 
Follow the writings of the old men, for they knew more than you or I.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 12:03:04 AM »
No Generators
The use of generators is prohibited at these sites. Enjoy the natural silence of the Chihuahuan Desert
(remember, generator use is prohibited in the backcountry)
Gotta stay at RGV or the Basin campground if you want to use a generator:
Generator use is permitted in designated areas between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Idling vehicle engines are considered generators in this regard. No generators are allowed at Cottonwood Campground.
Al, looks like you better start watching your mailbox for a citation letter! :eusa_shifty:

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 12:05:20 AM »
I think the rangers should ticket every car or truck that drives into Big Bend for illegal generator use! 

This exceeds the top range of the silly meter . . . Fred, please.

Al

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 01:08:28 AM »
I confess.  I idled my truck, with no other humans present for many miles around other than my friends, to recharge our batteries.  I was weak. 

It does not matter that I idled the truck to ensure we would not be stranded many miles down a remote dirt road and to avoid a potentially required rescue effort by park personnel.  I have sinned and will accept my punishment, as appropriate. I promise next time I will drive needlessly down the park roads to increase park particulate emissions and in order to burn much more gas and to emit much more CO2 as necessary to accomplish the same net energy gain. 

My bad,
Al
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:22:36 AM by Al »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!